Whether you’re ready or not for HBO Max, HBO Max’s release date is almost here. Here you will get to know everything about HBO Max streaming App launch date, Cost, Pros, Cons, reviews, ratings, and much more. Expanding upon HBO Now’s a library of HBO hits and licensed movies with mega-popular series like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, and Doctor Who, HBO Max is poised to make some waves in the streaming wars.
On Tuesday morning, Warner Media announced that HBO Max would officially launch on May 27. The company also unveiled its slate of premium Max Originals that will be available to viewers immediately.
While Netflix remains the heaviest hitter in this universe, Disney figured out how to effectively dispatch Disney+ the previous fall, while putting significantly more in Hulu’s substance library. WarnerMedia is plainly wanting to emulate Disney’s example by utilizing the HBO brand name as the highlight of its new help.
What is HBO Max Streaming App?
It’s a brand new streaming platform with 10,000 hours of content that will launch in May 2020 (*and the crowd goes wild*).
HBO Max will be a combination of HBO, WarnerMedia shows, and movies, as well as new original content. Everyone in the family will have something to watch with its vast selection of kids, drama, action, and fantasy shows and movies.
Everything About HBO Max Streaming App
It’s a unique streaming service with old, new, and original content.
HBO GO, HBO NOW, and HBO Max are all different. You won’t get HBO Max with your standard HBO service, but you will with an HBO NOW subscription (more on that in the pricing section).
The entire HBO service is available on HBO Max. And you’ll also get lots of excellent WarnerMedia shows and movies, a selection of other acquired series and films, and new original content. Woah.
TV Shows Streaming in HBO Max App
- Game of Thrones
- West World
- The Big Bang Theory
- Sex and the City
- Pretty Little Liars
- Rick and Morty
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- Looney Tunes
- Sesame Street
- Doctor Who
- South Park
Movies Streaming in HBO Max App
- A Star is Born
- Lord of the Rings
- Wonder Woman
- Crazy Rich Asians
- How Harry Met Sally
- Detective Pikachu
- I Know This Much is True
- The Outsider
- The Sopranos
HBO Originals Streaming in HBO Max
- Adventure Time: Distant Lands
- Close Enough
- Doom Patrol
- Expecting Amy
- Looney Tunes Cartoons
- The Not Too Late Show with Elmo
Cost of HBO Max Streaming App
For existing HBO subscribers via qualifying partner platforms, most of whom pay $15 a month, there will be no additional cost. For new subscribers, the price is $15 a month, though a promotion makes it $12 a month for the first year.
While there is no incremental cost to switch for the 30 million or so existing HBO subscribers in the U.S., new subscribers will be paying the most of any competing streaming service. Apple and Disney are at the low end, at $5 and $7 a month, with Peacock free for Comcast subscribers and $5 a month for others who don’t opt for the ad-free version. Netflix’s most popular plan costs $13 a month.
Which Devices are Compatible with HBO Max?
You’re going to want to watch The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on your road trip, or your kids are going to need to be entertained with Looney Tunes while you’re grocery shopping.
It’s no question we need our streaming services on the go.
HBO Max will be available on most of the popular devices (although more info will be announced closer to May). Here are a few to choose from:
- Most Apple devices that can stream video will support HBO Max — iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. However, customers with second- and third-generation Apple TV models will need to stream HBO Max content from their iPhone or iPad to their TV with AirPlay.
- Google’s Android operating system for phones and tablets will have an app. Android TV devices, Chromebooks, Google Chromecast, and Chromecast built-in devices will support HBO Max too.
- Sony’s PlayStation 4 systems will be able to download the HBO Max app via the PlayStation Store.
- Microsoft’s Xbox One gaming consoles will also be able to get the HBO Max app via the Microsoft Store.
- Select Samsung internet-connected smart TVs — models from 2016 through 2020 — will be able to download and purchase HBO Max directly.
Which Devices are Not Compatible with HBO Max?
But one popular device may not get HBO Max, at least initially. Earlier in May, AT&T incoming CEO John Stankey said that Amazon’s Fire TV products may not have an HBO Max app. “I’m pleased to say we’re going to be in virtually all app stores, or maybe one exception. It looks like we may not be in the Amazon Fire app store when all of this is said and done,” he said.
Also missing, as of late Tuesday: Roku, a crucial streaming device for watching on televisions. Roku is estimated to be one of the most-used streaming boxes in the country.
What other Original Content will HBO Max have?
Lots of highly anticipated TV shows and movies, both new and original
HBO Max originally received a lot of attention when the Friends reunion was announced to be released on HBO Max when it launches in May. But because of the COVID-19 pandemic, production has been set back a couple of months.
But HBO Max is still on track with releasing other new and original content in 2020 and 2021.
HBO Max’s shows include the following:
- The Outsider: A 10-episode dark mystery series based on the Stephen King book.
- Lovecraft Country: A horror series executively produced by Jordan Peele.
- Sesame Street: Five new 35-episode seasons as well as episodes from the past 50 years.
- I Know This Much is True: A family drama series with Mark Ruffalo playing twin brothers, one of whom has schizophrenia.
- Mecha Builders: A spin-off of Sesame Street.
HBO Max’s original shows include the following:
- Wahl Street: An eight-episode Mark Wahlberg documentary.
- Tokyo Vice: A series based on an American journalist’s first-hand experience of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police.
- The Flight Attendant: A thriller series starring Kaley Cuoco.
- Love Life: A 10-episode rom-com starring Anna Kendrick.
- Gossip Girl: A reboot of the series with a new generation of New York private school teens.
More shows will be announced as it gets closer to HBO Max’s launch day.
Pros, Cons & Ratings about HBO Max Streaming App
- Lots of highly anticipated content
- Can get HBO NOW and HBO Max together for one price
- No Ads
- No Free Trial
- Not a standalone service
- No Sports
Rating- 4 out of 5.
How is HBO Max Different From HBO, HBO Go, or HBO Now?
HBO Max is essentially an extension of HBO, which first went on the air in 1972 after being conceived as a way to get cable customers to pay extra for select programming. In 2011, HBO Go launched, enabling subscribers to HBO to stream the network’s offerings, and in 2015, HBO Now launched as a stand-alone streaming version of the traditional offering.
When is HBO Max’s Launch Date?
According to an HBO Max spokesperson, HBO Max will be rolling out overnight. The service could pop up on streaming devices as early as on 27th May 2020 at 3 AM ET/ 12 AM PT but don’t be surprised if you can’t find it at that exact time.
HBO Max should be live on all supported devices by 9 AM ET/6 AM PT.
Everything About HBO Max Streaming App vs. HBO Go vs. HBO Now Youtube Video