Getting your home stocked with groceries and daily essentials is one thing. Storing them properly is another heck that requires utmost care and attention. Because if not kept properly, things will rot soon. I am sure you don’t want to eat spoiled and rotten veggies and cheese. The best option is to freeze them for a longer stay. The question is “Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese?”
Cottage cheese is the common form of cheese that is used as an everyday meal at homes and restaurants. It tastes slightly savory and creamy. You can easily make cottage cheese at home. You just need to acidify the milk and wait until the curds separate from the milk. Drain out the extra water and collect the cheese in a clean fresh cotton cloth or a stainer. See, your cottage cheese is ready within minutes. Now comes the storing part. Can cottage cheese be frozen? If yes, then how to freeze cottage cheese to protect it from spoiling.
Can you freeze cottage cheese? Yes, you can. Refrigerated cheese stays up to one week without getting spoiled. Whereas, frozen cheese has a longer lifespan if stored properly. Ever wondered why frozen products last so long than non-frozen ones? Well, this is due to the temperature difference. The extremely cold temperature usually preserves the eatables for longer and can be used fresh-like after some time.
If you are wondering Does cottage cheese freeze well? How to freeze cottage cheese? Relax!! We got you covered with the best tips and tricks to freezing the cottage cheese for longer usage. You just need to take care of a few things like what type of cottage cheese are you using? Is it fresh or not? Read on to know more!!
Can You Freeze Cottage Cheese
Yes, you can freeze cottage cheese. In fact, it’s a great way to ensure the long shelf life of cottage cheese. Frozen and fresh products taste different. It’s always good to consume fresh dairy products rather than frozen ones.
But if you have no choice then to use frozen cheese or if you want to keep your left-out cheese safe for longer, then freezing is the best option.
The nutritional value of frozen cottage cheese remains the same as the fresh one, just the texture of the cheese experiences changes like hardening, change in color, change in taste, etc.
There are many delicious recipes you can try using frozen cottage cheese. You can also use defrosted cottage cheese for some recipes.
Can Cottage Cheese Be Frozen – How To Freeze Cottage Cheese
The freezing time of cottage cheese totally depends upon the type of cheese you are using. For example, if you are using full-fat cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, or fat-free cottage cheese.
How to freeze cottage cheese? Follow these steps:
- Divide it into Portions: It’s good to divide the cottage cheese into portions then freeze it all together. This makes it easy to freeze cottage cheese and also saves time for thawing the cheese when you need it for cooking
- Make smaller portions and place them in air-tight containers or wrappers and place them in the freezer. Also, make sure that the wrap you are using does not leak. Or you can simply use freezer bags available at stores. Seal it properly.
- It’s time to do the final step. Place these bags and containers in the freezer and let it freeze.
How To Defrost Cottage Cheese?
If you are looking for ways to thaw cottage cheese then here are a couple of tricks to try:
- The best way to thaw cottage cheese is to leave the frozen cottage cheese out of the freezer. You can simply place the cheese package in the refrigerator overnight. And it will melt by the morning. You can use the defrosted cheese after that.
- Another way to defrost the frozen cottage cheese is by dipping it in cold water. Remember you should never keep frozen products in hot water for defrosting. Always use cold water.
- You can use the frozen cheese as it is in some dishes like soup. Sometimes while cooking we forget to defrost the frozen cottage cheese. It’s okay to use frozen cheese in your dishes. Just make sure you stir it from time to time.
What Can You Make Out Of Defrosted Cottage Cheese?
There are a number of recipes that you can try using defrosted cottage cheese. Also, you can use frozen cottage cheese in desserts like cheesecakes.
To find a few cooking options with cottage cheese, here is the list of dishes that can be prepared using frozen cottage cheese.
- Cheese Alfredo
- Savory Cottage Cheese Bowls.
- Cheese Lasagna
- Cakes and pastries.
- Cheese Toasts
You may also be interested in 9 Foods That Look Gross But Taste Good (Worth A Bite!!)
How Long Does Cottage Cheese Last Once You Open It
If you have made it up to here, then you are probably worried about storing the open cottage cheese package. How long does cottage cheese last once opened?
There are many factors that affect the shelf life of cottage cheese-like :
- After opening you should store the left-out cottage cheese in an airtight container. Or pack the cover tightly to prevent air crossover through the pack.
- Make sure you have left the cottage cheese in the refrigerator. Because if it’s left outside at room temperature, it’ll get spoiled early.
- If stored in a refrigerator, then your cottage cheese might last up to 8-10 days.
- Can you keep cottage cheese at room temperature? It will hardly take 2 hours for the cottage cheese to discard at room temperature.
- To increase the shelf life of cottage cheese, the best way is to freeze it. Yes, you can freeze cottage cheese by placing it in a freezer bag or an airtight container.
- If frozen properly then cottage cheese can last up to 3 long months.
How To Find Out That Cottage Cheese Is Spoiled?
Even if you ensure the longer shelf life of cottage cheese, after some days it’s going to get worse. How to tell if your cottage cheese is spoiled or not?
- If you find discoloration in the cheese like the cheese has turned yellow, then it’s time to quit using that cheese.
- If the cottage cheese smells bad or sour, that also indicates that it is spoiled.
- If you find any change in the taste of cottage cheese-like sour or bitter taste, then also there are chances that your cottage cheese is spoiled.
Also, check out How To Reheat Corn On The Cob To Get Fresh Juicy Corn!!
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Frozen Cottage Cheese:
Can you eat frozen cheese?
Yes, you can enjoy cheese after it’s frozen. The nutritional value in it remains the same even after freezing. Although you may notice few changes in the texture and taste of frozen cottage cheese as the freezing process affects the cheese.
You can make a variety of dishes using frozen cottage cheese-like soups, cakes and pastries, casseroles, sauces, and many more. You can either use the frozen cheese directly into your dishes or you can defrost it and then use it for cooking.
Why does your cottage cheese feel watery?
This totally depends on what kind of cheese you are using. If you are using dry cottage cheese that is slightly fermented and then drained, then it will not feel watery after freezing. If you are using wet cottage cheese which is made by mixing with cream dressing, then it will have a watery texture.
Can eggs be frozen?
Yes, they can be. Frozen eggs can be used for longer, up to half a year straight. But it’s good to use them within four months of the freezing time.
Is cottage cheese good for daily consumption?
Yes, it is. In fact, cottage cheese is a good source of dietary nutrition. If you can’t take excess lactose in your diet and are sensitive to dairy products, then you can choose a lactose-free diet.
Featured Image Credits: New England Cheese Making Supply Company