One of the most common mistakes that we all commit while ordering a belt is choosing the wrong belt size. We often confuse our belt size with our waist size. Are they both different? Yeah, they are definitely. If so, then what is the correct procedure to measure belt size? Worry not, here we are with an article that will answer all your queries regarding belt sizes.
The belt size is certainly the thing that we all want to be in our control. Well, if you are the kind of person whose belt size changes every year then you must read this article. Belts reflect our personality, if they are too tight, they won’t let you sit easily. On the other hand, if they are sloppy they will make you look unprofessional. Then, what is the perfect size of belt that we should order? You will get your answer in our article “How To Measure Belt Size”.
How To Measure Belt Size?
There are four different ways to measure belt size, these are
- Measure belt size with detachable buckle belt
- Measure belt size with fixed buckle belt
- Measure belt size with measuring tape
- Figuring belt size with Pant/waist size.
The four methods given above are the easiest and the quickest ways to measure your belt size. Fret not, we have explained all the methods mentioned above with the step-to-step guide below.
Perfect Ways To Measure Belt Size
Well, you need to be sure about your waist size and the pant size before you go out to buy a belt. It should not look short and not too long. The perfect size of the belt to be worn on the jeans or any formal pants will be 2 inches more than your waist size.
Well, there is a misconception that a belt must be worn according to the waist size. You will be reading more about this misconception further in the article.
So, here we are with different methods to measure belt size. Let us have a look at them one by one.
Measure Belt Size Using The Existing Belt
One of the best ways to measure belt size is using a belt that you already own. You can use your old belt for this purpose. However, there are two ways to measure this, one is with the detachable buckle belts and the other is with the buckle attached to the belt. Both the methods are almost similar with a few changes in the steps. We have mentioned both of them below for you.
Measure Belt Size With Detachable Buckle Belt
As the name itself says that detachable buckle belts have the ability to remove their buckle. You can buy a belt and a dozen buckles. You can change these buckles as many times as you want and the belt will be the same. Well, here is the step of the procedure that needed to be followed to measure belt size with a detachable buckle belt.
- First of all start with removing the buckle from the belt and notice the hole on the belt, where buckles are inserted.
- Next, lay the belt straight on a plain surface, you can lay it on a table, ground, or any other plane surface.
- There are possibilities that the belt is having curves due to its excessive regular use. In that case, you can use heavy objects such as a wooden block or something, to put it on both the ends of the belt, to make it straight.
- Now, get a measuring tape (We suggest you use the measuring tape used by the tailors, not the one used at construction places). Keep one end of the tape on the hole where the buckle is attached and measure it to the hole that holds the pin of the buckle.
Measure Belt Size With Buckled Belt
If you love leather belts for formals then you must be knowing that you won’t get the extra buckles for showing off. Formal belts come with buckles fixed to one end. Well, if you have a fixed buckle belt and want to measure the belt size for your new belt then follow the steps given below-
- Put on the belt and make notice the number of the hole where the buckle pin is inserted.
- After that lay the belt straight on a plain surface, you can lay it on a table, ground, or any other plane surface.
- There are possibilities that the belt is having curves due to its excessive regular use. In such cases, you can use heavy objects such as a wooden block or something.
- Now, get a measuring tape (We suggest you use the measuring tape used by the tailors, not the one used at construction places), and put the one end of the measuring tape at the end where the buckle joins the leather part and measure it to the hole, the buckle pin goes in.
Alternatively, you can start from the top end of the buckle and measure to the hole where the buckle pin goes in. After that, subtract the length of the buckle from the measured length.
While measuring the belt size in both the methods given above, make sure to exclude the buckle length from the total length obtained. If the size you have got is 36 then, order the belt number 36.
Measure Belt Size Without Belt (Using The Measuring Tape)
The two methods given above are the most used methods when it comes to measuring the belt size. But, what if you don’t have a belt ready with you? You might have broken it or lost it or there are chances you are planning to buy the belt after you have put on some weight and the old belt doesn’t fit you anymore.
Whatever may be the reason, we have the solution for you. Follow the steps given below to measure belt size without a belt, using the measuring tape only.
- First of all, wear pants that fit you in the most comfortable way.
- Next, use a measuring tape (We suggest you use the measuring tape used by the tailors, not the one used at construction places), and put it through the loops of your pants just as you would wear your own belt.
- Now, hold one tip of the measuring tape at your belly button and bring the other end from the loops.
- Now, take a deep breath in and inflate your belly, so that you can get the exact number of the belt suitable for you.
- Now, breathe out and check the measurement on the belt. That is your belt size.
- Order the belt of the measured size.
You must be aware of the fact that the belt sizes available in the market are even in number.
What If The Size You Measured Comes Out To Be An Odd Number?
Well, if this is the scenario you don’t need to worry much. You have to pick up the nearest possible even number and make sure that the belt number you pick is greater than the number you have got on the measuring tape.
For example, if you got the size “31” on the measuring tape, order the belt number “32”.
Belt Size v/s Waist Size
As we told you at the beginning of the article, Belt Size and Waist size are two different things. People often get confused between the two. However, the belt size is slightly greater than the waist size.
The answer is simple, your waist size is the direct size of your waist whereas when you talk about the belt size, it includes the waist size + your undergarments + the shirt, if you tuck it in.
So, if you know your waist size and you are buying a belt then your belt number should be at least 1 inch more than your waist size.
Measuring Belt Size With The Waist Size/ Pant Size
As we told you in the section above that you need to buy a belt size that is 2 inches more than your Waist/Pant Size. Study the table below to get a clear idea about the topic.
|Waist Size/ Pant Size||Belt Size To Prefer|
|28 – 29||30|
|30 – 31||32|
|32 – 33||34|
|34 – 35||36|
|36 – 37||38|
|38 – 39||40|
|40 – 41||42|
|42 – 43||44|
|44 – 45||46|
These were the four major methods to measure belt sizes. It is always recommended to purchase a belt size that is two-inch greater than your pant size. If you are planning to buy a new leather belt then do read this article and if you find it interesting and informative then do share it with your friends.
Frequently Asked Question
What size belt should I buy for a 32 waist?
34 because you need to buy the belt size that is 2 inches more than your Waist/Pant Size.
What size belt should you get for a 34 waist?
If you have a waist size of 34, then you should go for belt number 36. It is always recommended to buy a belt with a size 2 inches more than the waist size.
What is the waist size of a person who uses a 42-inches belt?
If a person is buying a 42-inch belt then the waist and the pant size of the person is around 40 inches.
Featured Image Source: Tom Taylor Belts | Buckles