People crave luxury and they will go to any extent to showcase their love for the same! Take, for example, a bottle of Scotch! A fine bottle of Scotch can be brought without wasting $1000 but people have expensive taste! They want an expensive one to not only revel in its taste but to show off their status to the world! Now! Are you wondering how far their expensive palates can lead them? Let’s find out! Keep reading to know what are the most expensive scotch whiskies in the world!
Long before, The social standing of women was assessed by the clothes they wore but you know how men were assessed? In addition to their neatly dressed attire, a man’s wine cabinet was highly scrutinized! The higher the price tag on bottles, the higher the social standing! This ritual is still ongoing on the creamy layer of our billionaires! Let’s see how much their bar cabinet costs!
Scotch sold at auctions can run your pockets dry even if you’re loaded with cash! In October 2019, A bottle of whiskey was sold at an auction at an astonishing price of US$1.9m! But you would be surprised to know that this much price is NOTHING!
A fun fact here! How you pronounce or write whiskey can tell your history! Don’t believe me? Keep reading fellas!
World Of Scotch: The Most Expensive Scotch Whiskies In The World!!
When we say Scotch Whisky, what do we actually mean? It means that this whisky is “Made in Scotland!” Scotch actually stands for Scottish Whisky which can be either of the two-grain or malt!
Scotch was originally made from barley at first, but with the increase in the commercial trade of the same, they started being made from wheat and rye in the late 18th century.
Interesting Facts About Scotch Whiskey!
According to the Scotch whisky regulations act, Scotch whisky must be aged with the help of oak barrels only! But wait for a second! Why am I using such a formal tone? Well, that’s one of the interesting facts about Scotch! Let’s check more of these!
- In the Gaelic language, whiskey translates into “the water of life!”
- Its production and all other related activities are regulated by Scotch Whisky Regulations 2009.
- A cask that is aged in Britain or America will not be “Scotch!”
- The Bourbon of America has helped Scotch a lot! They are practically long-lost friends! The casks that once held Bourbon for maturation are used to mature Scotch Whiskey because Bourbon requires a new cask every time!
- Not all Scotch has a natural color and there might be a case where your Scotch has artificial coloring!
- Even your 5-year old Whiskey can be 12 because of how it was mixed! If a 20-year whisky is mixed with 5-year whisky, the resulting whiskey would be called a 5-year old whiskey!
- A unit for drinking scotch whiskey is called “Dram!”
- Exchequer Rolls of Scotland is the first book that mentions Scotch whiskey. It dates back to 1494!
- Bottles of Scotch are like a diamond mine for Scotland! Why? Because they act as huge tax avenues for the country!
Types Of Scotch Whiskey
Did you actually believe there was only one kind of Scotch available? Well! NO! In total, there are five types of Scotch whiskey! These are
- Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- Single Grain Scotch Whisky
- Blended Grain Scotch Whisky
- Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
- Blended Scotch Whisky
But mainly if one notices, there are actually only two basic types of Scotch whisky from which all others are made! Single malt whisky means that the whisky is prepared from malted barley at a single distillery. While the Single grain whisky, in addition to malted barley, also has other malted or unmalted cereals! Both of these whiskies are distilled in a single distillery only, hence it’s called single malt or single grain whisky!
Whiskey Or Whisky? What’s The Difference?
Without any delay, to satisfy your curious minds, I’ll reveal how a bottle of Scotch can reveal your history! If you are an American or an Irish, then you pronounce your Scotch as Whiskey rather than Whiskey! This is how I can guess where you’re from! The rest of the world, like regions of Japan, Spain, Scotland, etc, pronounce Scotch as Whisky! This is just a minor difference for the linguist in you to know!
List Of “The” Most Expensive Scotch Whiskies In The World
Not any Scotch can be labeled as expensive! Scotch that has aged for many years is sold at expensive prices! Not forgetting the fact that, if some additional value additions are made to it, the costlier it will get! For example a rare whisky from a distinguished personality or a few bottles of aged whisky from an old and branded distillery! Let’s look at the list of whiskies that were more expensive than the house you’re living in!
- Dalmore 62 Single Highland Malt Scotch -US$58000
- Glenfiddich 1937 -US$71,700
- The Macallan 1926 -US$75,000
- Springbank 1919 -US$78000
- Glenfiddich Janet Sheed Roberts Reserve 1955 -US$94,000
- Dalmore 64 Trinitas -$153,000
- Mortlach 70 years old – US$28,000
- The Macallan 64 in Lalique Cire Perdue -US$464,000
- The Macallan M- US$631,850
- Isabella’s Islay -US$6.2 million
Most Expensive Bottles Of Scotch Ever Sold
In the month of March, Craft Irish Whiskey Co. came up with the “The Emerald Isle Collection” in collaboration with Faberge. This was all over the news and became a hot topic among the whiskey lovers when Craft Irish wanted to present to the world “The seven wonders of Island!” This proved to be an expensive affair when the first bottle was auctioned at $2M USD!
But you know what? The Scotch fans weren’t surprised by this overwhelmingly huge price tag and denied it as the “one and only” world’s most expensive whiskey!! Do you know which whisky is regarded as rather expensive in the history of whiskies? It is called “The Macallan Collection!” and many other collections of whiskeys that have been mentioned above!
- The Macallan Red Collection
- The Macallan Peter Blake
- The Macallan Valerio Adami
- The Macallan Lalique Six Pillars Collection
- Hanyu Ichiro’s Full Card Series
- The Macallan Michael Dillon
Expensive Scotch Brands
People forget their pockets while searching for a fine piece of Scotch! They don’t care about the price tag and all other middle-class worries and single-heartedly follow their desires of quenching that thirst! The thirst for a luxurious sip of oak and barley! Let’s see what brands will satisfy your thirst for Scotch! Be warned though, they’re going to be expensive as HELL!
- Johnnie Walker
- The GlenDronach
- The Macallan
- Chivas Regal
- Glen Moray
We love luxury and a fine taste of heaven that pacifies our demons inside! That’s why a bottle of Scotch is never forgotten when we’re relaxing on our Porch or maybe having a gathering like an office party! And while sipping on that whisky, what’s a good topic of conversation other than the most expensive Scotch you’ve ever had? Your business partners may even consider investing in one for the huge market it has!
Is Scotch a whiskey?
The answer to this question is yes! But you have to make a slight change to how you’re spelling whiskey here because Scotch is exclusive to Scotland and the Whiskey that you’re referring to here is actually, Whisky there!
What is Scotch Whiskey?
Yes, Scotch is a whiskey made from malted barley and water that is distilled for at least 3-years before you’re able to purchase them! Also, for a whisky to be called Scotch Whisky, it should be casked exclusively in Scotland and nowhere else!
What are the most expensive Scotch brands?
The Macallan can be called one of the most expensive brands with the number of expensive bottles it has sold so far! In addition to that, some other expensive Scotch Whisky brands are Ardbeg, Johnnie Walker, The GlenDronach, Bowmore, and many others!
Featured Image Credits: Unsplash