The world record set for solving a 4×4 rotating puzzle is 17.42 seconds!! And there are 7401 septillion permutations and combinations to solve it. Damn!! The number is scary. Do you wish to master the tricks? Don’t worry, we are here with a beginner’s guide to solve a 4×4 Rubik’s Cube within seconds.
The cube gets its name from Rubik Enro who invented this brainstorming puzzle in 1974. It’s always recommended to learn how to solve a 3×3 Rubik’s cube before learning a 4×4 cube. Since the steps to solve a 4×4 Rubik’s cube are almost similar to that of 3×3, it’s better to try the smaller one first. I know most of us complete the first layer easily but get stuck after that. This beginner’s guide will surely help you get through it.
Although Rubik’s Cube attained widespread popularity in the 1980s but is still admired and widely used. Here in this post, we have mentioned the cube variations, face keys, shortcuts to remember algorithm keys, and most important steps to solve a 4×4 Rubik’s Cube, everything in detail.
Keeping the first things first, let’s get to know your cube type and then start with the solving process.
4×4 Cube Variations
- Axis Cube
- Octahedron Cube
- Fisher Cube
- Bandaged Cube
- Mirror Cube
Face Keys To Remember
- U= Up face
- u= Inside up
- Uu= Up face & Inside up
- D= Down face
- d= Inside down
- Dd= Down face & inside down
- L= Left face
- l= Inside left
- R= Right face
- r= Inside right
- Rr= Right face & inside right
- F= Front face
- f= Inside front
- B= Backface
- b= Inside black
Shortcuts to Remember Algorithm Keys
- U= Rotating the uppermost face clockwise.
- U’= Rotating the uppermost face anti-clockwise.
- u= Rotating the second top layer clockwise.
- u’= Rotating the second top layer anti-clockwise
- Uu= Rotating the top two layers clockwise together.
- U’u’= Rotating the top two layers anti-clockwise together.
- D= Rotating the down face anti-clockwise.
- D’= Rotating the down face clockwise.
- d= Rotating the inside down layer anti-clockwise.
- d’= Rotating the inside down layer clockwise.
- Dd= Rotating the last two layers anti-clockwise together.
- D’d’= Rotating the last two layers clockwise together.
- L= Moving the left face from up to down.
- L’= Moving the left face from down to up.
- l= Moving the inside left face from up to down.
- l’= Moving the inside left face from down to up.
- R= Moving the right face down to up.
- R’= Moving the right face from up to down
- r= Moving the inside right face from down to up.
- r’= Moving the inside right face from up to down.
- Rr= Moving the two right columns from down to up together.
- R’r’= Moving the two right columns from up to down together.
- F= Rotating the front face clockwise.
- F’= Rotating the front face anti-clockwise.
- f= Rotating the inside front clockwise.
- f’= Rotating the inside front anti-clockwise.
- B= Rotating the back face anti-clockwise.
- B’= Rotating the back face clockwise.
- b= Rotating the inside back anti-clockwise.
- b’= Rotating the inside back clockwise.
- w= Wide turn.
4 Major Tricks To Solve a 4×4 Rubik’s Cube Quickly
Here is the complete pack of instructions about a 4×4 Rubik’s Cube. It’s not that easy to solve a 4×4 Rubik’s cube, but if you already know how to solve a 3×3 Rubik’s cube, then you won’t face difficulty solving this one too. Carefully follow the algorithms so that you don’t miss any steps. Let’s begin.
Step 1: Arrange two adjacent centers
We’ll begin with targeting the yellow and white adjacent centers first. Follow the algorithm;
Dw’ Rw’ Dw
As the white face gets completed, with the white face moved to the bottom, try to arrange a yellow 2×2 block on the opposite side. Follow the algorithm:
Rw U Rw’ and Rw U2 Rw’
Step 2: Arrange the remaining four centers
While the white and yellow centers are completed on the left and right, let’s arrange the other four centers by following the algorithm:
Rw U Rw’
Step 3: Let’s pair the edges
Let’s move to the edges now. Just like we arranged the adjacent centers, it’s time to arrange the adjacent edges. Here you need to follow four different algorithms in sequence to get the results:
- Uw L’ U’ L Uw’
- Uw’ R U R’ Uw
- R U’ B’ R2
- Dw R F’ U R’ F Dw’
Step 4: Try solving it like a 3×3 cube
1.Make a white cross by following any of these algorithms:
- F U’ R U
- F U’ R U
- U’ R U
- U L’ U’
- U’ R’ U
2. Solve the white corners
- R’ D’ R
- F D F’
- R’ D2′ R D R’ D’ R
- R2 D’ R2 D R2
- R’ D’ R D
3. Solve the second layer of Rubik’s Cube
- Left Algorithms: U R U’ R’ U’ F’ U F
- Right Algorithms: U’ L’ U L U F U’ F’
4. Make a yellow cross on the top
F R U R’ U F’ y2 F R U R’ U’ F’ y2 F R U R’ U’ F’
5. Swap the Yellow edges in the top layer
Note: U2 means a double turn.
U R U R’ U R U2 R’ U y2 R U R’ U R U2 R’ U
6. Positioning the yellow corners
U R U’ L’ U R’ U’ L
7.Orientation of the last layer of the cube
R’ D’ R D
Congratulations on solving the 4×4 Cube!! Feels amazing right. These were the simple steps to solve a 4×4 Rubik’s Cube. Even if you could not complete it by the end, it’s okay. You can start once again. Be patient. Follow each step with care and you’ll surely make it soon. You can also try solving a 2×2 Rubik’s cube to get a better hold. Keep trying and good luck!
Featured Image Credits: YouTube