That baby Yoda had us since “The Mandalorian” was released in 2019! The cute baby Yoda made us reminiscence about the days when Star Wars was first released! From 1977 to 2021, it surely is a long time! Just like the world of Harry Potter, Star Wars also has a universe of its own! Thus, if you’re just a beginner, you need to do a lot of #BGCheck to start! And that’s why you’ve jumped here!
Star Wars Universe is a wider Pop-Culture phenomenon that includes everything ranging from video games, movies, comics, series, novels, fandoms, etc. Thus, if you step in once, you’re stuck in this universe! You’ll keep looking forward to new releases and whatnot!
We all know about Star Wars: Episode-IV-New Hope but do we know when it was first novelized? Well! The first novelization of Star Wars was done by Alan Dean Foster when he wrote Star Wars: From the Adventure of Luke Skywalker based on the 1977 film. Do you know what’s absurd? They released this novel before the movie was released! I can’t fathom what the production was doing giving out the spoilers on a silver platter!
Well, that’s the discussion for another day! Now, all we have to do is hop on our alien ships and fly straight ahead into the galaxy of Star Wars to find out some of the best Star War novels!
Star Wars: The Best Star Wars Novels!
Let’s do a history check first! What is Star Wars and what does it correspond to? The original Star Wars trilogy was released way back in 1977 forming the start of the “the Skywalker Saga!”. Subsequently, the other trilogies, including the prequels and sequels were released. To date, nine Star Wars movies have been released that are a part of the main series! You would obviously be aware of the fact that these nine don’t encompass the whole of the Star Wars universe!
The moment Star Wars novel sold off all its first paperback version back in 1977, we knew the story had captivated the masses! Just look how far this Sci-fi movie series has come! Well, I wasn’t even born at that time but who has missed those classics?
We don’t call it a Star Wars universe without any reason! By backing up my earlier argument, let me recount how much Star Wars culture has expanded! We have Star Wars books, fandoms, toys, anime, comics, video games, TV series, and even spin-off movies! I am pretty sure I might have missed a lot of things but let’s remember these important ones for now!
This non-film material was called the Star Wars Expanded Universe but not anymore! Now it’s called The Star War legends when Lucasfilms rebranded the same to become non-canonish! You will get to know more about it soon! Don’t worry!
Star Wars Glossary: A Beginners Guide To Star Wars
- The Force: The Force is a mystical power possessed by all living things. Siths and Jedi fight with this. It can be used for both good and evil as you’ll get to know later!
- The Dark Side: Just like the concept of Yin-Yang, The Dark side is the Yin for the good Yang (The Force). It draws power from all the negativity of the world and those who channel it for their own gains are the #badpeople or Siths!
- Jedi: Jedi are people who possess extraordinary skills. In Star Wars, the Jedi are the epitome of good who fight against evil forces like the sith! The Jedi Order works with four ranks in which Jedi Master is the highest rank. Look at the following placement to know how it works- Jedi Master>Knight>Padawan>Youngling.
- Sith: Siths are the antagonists or villains that are hungry for power and can do anything to achieve the same! They are guided by the dark side of The Force. Notable Sits are Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine!
- Lightsaber: This is the weapon used by the Jedi!
- The Empire/ The Galactic Empire: The Original Trilogy had The Empire where Emperor Palpatine was after the objective of bringing Siths to power.
- Stormtrooper: These are the bad guys dressed in white, AKA, the soldiers of The Empire that are very powerful and brutal as well!
- The Rebel Alliance: These are the good guys fighting against The Empire! Luke and Han Solo are a part of the Rebel Alliance.
- Millennium Falcon: This Han Solo’s ride! Meaning his spaceship by which he travels!
- Droid: These robots who you can turn into servants or soldiers on your command!
- Clones: These are basically soldiers that are copies of humans! Hence, they are #Clones!
- Padawan: Well! If you remember the Jedi Order, you should know how those ranks work! A child in training to become a Jedi Master is called a Padawan!
- Ewok: These are the good cute creatures living on planet Endor who help the Rebel alliance!
- Telekinesis: The power to move objects by the strength of your brain! This power of the Force requires channeling your energy to displace the objects by focusing on your mind!
- Death Star: Well, All evil requires space and the Death Star is that space! It is the spaceship where sith gathers to make plans for galaxy domination!
- Wookie: Chewbacca, Han Solo’s cute fluffy assistant is a Wookie! Although they look cute, they’re powerful!
Best Star Wars Books
Now that you guys are acquainted with the universe of Star Wars, let’s go for our recommendations now! Below is the curated list of some of the best Star Wars novels that you should start with! And if you’re already well acquainted with them, Don’t worry! We have a whole lot of other recommendations for YOU!
- Aftermath –By Chuck Wendig
- Ahsoka –By E.K. Johnston
- Alphabet Squadron –By Alexander Freed
- Battlefront: Twilight Company –By Alexander Freed
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad –By Christie Golden
- Bloodline –By Claudia Gray
- Lando’s Luck –By Justina Ireland
- Lost Stars –By Claudia Gray
- Queen’s Shadow –By E.K. Johnston
- The Weapon of a Jedi –By Jason Fry
- Rebel Rising –By Beth Revis
- Dark Disciple –By Christie Golden
- The High Republic: Light Of The Jedi -By Charles Soule
- Thrawn –By Timothy Zahn
Best Star Wars Legends Books
Before moving onto the legend recommendations, you should know the most important keyword here- CANON! If you don’t know about canon, then know that every canon follows an original storyline and plot! The same goes for the Star Wars universe! But what happens when an author goes astray? Well, in the Star Wars world, It will become a part of Star Wars Legend!
The Star Wars Legends were previously known as the EU or the Expanded Universe of Star Wars that I already have told you about! They exist in the forms of comics, novels that may or may not necessarily have the same plot as an original trilogy! Hence, non-canonish! The Old Expanded Universe has been rebranded as Star Wars legends and the sequels will be based on the original six films of the Star Wars. Rendering the EU just as reference material!
Now let’s jump straight into what are some of the good Star Wars Legends books to read! You’re going to find Timothy Zahn books here too as you saw in the previous recommendations! He’s a master contributor to the Star Wars world!
- Heir to the Empire –By Timothy Zahn
- Jedi Apprentice –By Jude Watson and Dave Wolverton
- Kenobi –By John Jackson Miller
- Republic Commando: Hard Contact -By Karen Traviss
- Revenge of the Sith –By Matthew Stover
- Scoundrels –By Timothy Zahn
- Shadows of the Empire –By Steve Perry
- Traitor –By Matthew Stover
- X-Wing: Rogue Squadron –By Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allson
- Yoda: Dark Rendezvous –By Sean Stewart
- Darth Plagueis –By James Luceno
- I, Jedi –By Michael A. Stackpole
- Outbound Flight –By Timothy Zahn
From the birth of Star Wars in 1977 to 2021, its world has expanded a lot! The same goes for the Star wars books that add a whole lot of spice to the existing Star Wars family! So, if you are planning to read one, why not follow the list and dive straight into the galaxy and spaceships! These sci-fi books will not leave you disappointed!
What are some of the best Star Wars Books?
To answer this question, I will apply my personal bias here and go with all of the Timothy Zahn books because I really love his storytelling and he actually brings the Star Wars world to life!
What is the difference between Star Wars Canon and legends?
We all know that Lucasfilm was acquired by Disney right? So the movies that have been made by Disney after the Star Wars acquisition are called canon! While Lucas redefined the before 2014 Expanded Universe as Legends!
What is the total number of Star Wars movies and the right order to watch them?
If you are just beginning to watch Star Wars movies, then knowing the correct chronological order is very important! You don’t want to know the spoilers before you even get to know who the person was! Hence, here’s a list if you want to begin your movie-watching spree!!!
- Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
- Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
- Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018)
- Rogue One (2016)
- Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
- The Mandalorian (2019-present)
- Star Wars: Resistance (2018-2020)
- Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
- Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Featured Image Credits: Wikipedia