You can connect Firestick to a mobile hotspot very easily to share the internet. It is pretty much similar to using any other WIFI network for connection. You can achieve this by following some simple steps in the settings.
However, it is important to maintain a stable connection with high data quality.
In addition to it, using unlimited data provides you with the best results while connecting Firestick to a mobile hotspot.
We’ve laid out all the important things you need to know about connecting Firestick to mobile hotspots such as the method of connecting to a hotspot on a mobile phone, the amount of required data along with the factors that affect the data use, the problems that you can face while connecting, and ways to avoid different problems by providing the best solutions.
Table of Contents:
- Can You Connect Firestick To Mobile Hotspot?
- How Do I Connect My Firestick To My Mobile Hotspot?
- How Much Data Does A Firestick Use On Hotspot?
- Why Does My Firestick Not Connect to Hotspot?
Can You Connect Firestick To Mobile Hotspot?
If you are wondering about the different kinds of connections your Firestick can have, you will be surprised to know that your Firestick is flexible to use with a mobile hotspot.
Connecting Firestick to a mobile hotspot depends upon the quality of data the user gets from their service provider.
What Are The Important Data Quality Requirements To Connect Firestick To Mobile Hotspot?
If you want to make your Firestick work well with the mobile hotspot, here are two important data quality requirements that need to be met:
- High Speed – Good speed facilitates buffering. The user must have a data speed of about 4MB per second which is equivalent to a bandwidth of about 32mbps.
- High data usage limit – The user needs to have a data limit of about 10 GB per day because Firestick consumes a lot of data on the hotspot.
How Do I Connect My Firestick To My Mobile Hotspot?
Here are some simple steps to connect Firestick to a mobile hotspot:
- Firstly, you need to set up the Firestick by providing the basic keys such as Power On, connecting to High-Definition Multimedia Interface(HDMI), etc.
- Secondly, turn on the hotspot on your mobile phone and set a password.
- Using the Firestick remote, go to Settings.
- Choose Network.
- Choose Wireless Hotspot with the display name of your device.
- Repeat the password which you entered on your phone and choose Select.
- Check for media streaming using the mobile hotspot.
To find out more information on how to connect to a mobile hotspot for a Firestick, check out this article by Brainyhousing.
Which Factors Determine The Amount Of Data Usage By Firestick With Hotspot?
A Firestick on a hotspot uses cellular data for media streaming. This data usage varies from person to person.
Here are two important factors which determine the amount of data usage:
- Quality of video – The quality of video for watching media affects the amount of data. For instance, full HD videos use two times more data as compared to Non-HD videos.
- Time Duration – The time you spend watching TV on the Firestick is directly proportional to the amount of data used.
How Much Data Does A Firestick Use On Hotspot?
According to IntoWindows.com, a Firestick on a hotspot may use the following gigabytes of data per hour depending upon the quality of video you choose to watch:
- For 4K videos, about 6 gigabytes in an hour.
- For Best quality videos, about 3.5 gigabytes in an hour.
- For Good quality videos, about 900 megabytes in an hour.
Why Won’t My Firestick Connect to a Mobile Hotspot?
Your Firestick won’t connect to a mobile hotspot in case of any one or more problems given below:
- Using an Outdated Firmware – If you are using an old Firestick software version, your Firestick will fail to connect to the hotspot. To fix this issue, connect your Firestick to a WiFi connection prior to the hotspot. Update the software to the latest one.
- Firestick Connection Error – Firestick may show connectivity errors if it is placed out of the range of your mobile to which is connected. The problem may appear if it is out of order or placed in a closed box such as a container.
Turning off both the Firestick and the mobile hotspot for one to two minutes and connecting again usually helps to solve the issue.
- Network access failure – Your Firestick may sometimes fail in media streaming or accessing the internet even while being connected to a mobile hotspot. You can fix the problem by adding a manual proxy.
- Using after hotspot timeout – Mobile hotspot works temporarily. When a mobile is not used, the hotspot turns off on its own. In this case, your Firestick may fail to connect to a hotspot. Keeping your hotspot active all the time helps to prevent this problem.
To learn more about why your Firestick may not be connecting to your hotspot, check out this article here and here.
How Can You Prevent Hotspot Timeout For Maintaining A Good Connection of Firestick To a Mobile Hotspot?
Here is how you can prevent hotspot timeout on an Android phone:
- Go to the hotspot menu and select details.
- Tap on the three dots present in the top right corner.
- Choose timeout settings and select “Never Timeout”.
According to VPNcheck, this setting will help to keep the hotspot working all the time and hence maintain a good connection of Firestick to a mobile hotspot.
However, keeping a hotspot active for a long period of time may drain your battery and cellular data.
How Can You Add a Manual Proxy For Fixing Network Access Failure for Firestick?
Here are two settings to add a manual proxy, which we will look at in further detail:
- Android Settings.
- Firestick Settings.
What Are The Android Settings To Add Manual Proxy?
Here are the settings you need to do on an Android:
- Use an application that is available on Android phones, such as NetShare. It helps you to launch a mobile hotspot and provides you with proxy information.
- Go to application.
- Choose Start Hotspot and enter your password.
- Connect your Firestick to this hotspot using the basic steps.
What Are Firestick Settings To Add Manual Proxy?
The following Firestick settings can help in adding a manual proxy:
- First, you need to go to a secret menu on Firestick.
- Press the Select and the Down button simultaneously. Hold for five seconds.
- After five seconds, release the buttons and press the Menu button two times. It opens a tool menu. Go down to Network Proxy.
- Select Auto proxy and check if it works. If the auto proxy doesn’t work, select Manual proxy.
- Put the proxy information provided by the android app. According to it, the proxy port is usually 8282.
- Keep the “Bypass Proxy For” option empty.
- Saving these settings is the final step.
Connecting Firestick to a mobile hotspot doesn’t have to be a hard task. Using good quality data with high speed helps to maintain a fine connection. The problems faced during the connection can be solved by simple settings.