For most people, the first thing they do after using a camera device stores the images on their desktop. On smartphones, the camera and gallery features make it easier to click images and save them directly. However, regardless of where you keep your pictures, certain situations can cause you to lose them.
For example, a virus attack on the device, a defect in the software, or even accidentally pressing the “Delete All” button can remove your photos. Luckily, there are multiple ways to restore photos. Let’s discuss.
Part 1: Restore Deleted Photos on Windows and Mac
When the images are deleted in either Mac or Windows laptops or PCs, there are specific folders they go to. For Windows, that is the Recycle Bin, while the one for Mac is known as Trash. Before we detail how to recover permanently deleted photos, here are the standard methods to recover photo files from these devices.
Solution 1: Recovering Deleted Images from Recycle Bin (Windows)
In the matter of how to get back deleted pictures on Windows, the first place to look is the Recycle Bin. All removed files and folders from different parts of the PC go into this section.
You can manually empty the Recycle Bin or wait for it to delete the files after 30 days from the time of deletion. Here is the process to recover the images from Recycle Bin, but you can use this only for files within this 30-day-period.
- You can customize how much the Recycle Bin can hold.
- Easy to delete every image together or choose multiple in a group.
- After you press the restore command, the files restore to the folder they were deleted from.
- Permanently deleted files after not simple to recover.
- The folder automatically removes the deleted files after 30 days.
How to do this?
Step 1: On your Windows PC, double-click on top of the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop homepage. Or, go to the Start menu and type “Recycle Bin” in the text field. Click on the app version that appears to open it.
Step 2: Choose the command that suits your needs:
- Click on the “Restore All Items” button at the top taskbar to restore all files.
- Choose the deleted images you want to return to their original location, and press “Restore the selected items” for selective restoration.
- To restore one file, right-click on it and choose the Restore option from the drop-down menu.
Solution 2: Recovering Deleted Images from Trash (Mac)
After one deletes the photos from other apps on the Mac device, they can migrate to the Trash instead of the Recently Deleted folder. This section only keeps the files for around 30 days, so recover within that time or before you manually empty the Trash. Trying the simple recovery method will not work after you empty this.
- No additional installation is necessary.
- After recovery, the images go back to their original location.
- Easy to access.
- You have to restore them one by one.
- If you delete the images from the Trash, they are permanently gone.
How to do this?
Step 1: On your Mac home page, click on the icon for Trash.
Step 2: Find the item(s) you are searching how to get deleted pictures back for.
Step 3: Right-click on the photo > Put Back.
Solution 3: Best Way to Recover Permanently Deleted Images with Recoverit [Recommended]
RecoverIt Photo Recovery is the best and easiest tool for restoring deleted photos from desktops. You can use it to retrieve a wide range of data types besides images, like videos, files, audio, etc. and even recover permanently deleted photos from a long time ago.
It is simple to operate for quick data recovery and efficiently pulls files from deeper areas of the device. Expect zero defects in the file you restore with Wondershare Recoverit, even for videos.
How to recover deleted images using RecoverIt?
Step 1: Launch Recoverit on your Mac or Windows PC.
Step 2: Choose the location you want to scan on the home page. Select an external device that you attach to the computer, a partition, a drive, or a specific folder.
Step 3: Wait for some time for the recovery scanning process to complete. Pause and resume the process if needed.
Step 4: After all deleted files recover, tap on them one by one to see their preview. Select multiple files, press the Recover button, or tap it on the preview screen.
- You can choose to recover photos by choosing their file type or format type.
- Recoverit is compatible with almost all types of storage devices for photo recovery, like drone cameras, digital cameras, SD cards, SSD, hard disks, USB drives, etc.
- Expect no data loss or overwriting during the recovery process.
- See a preview of the photo before you click the restoration button.
- Get high-quality guidance on how to recover permanently deleted photos from online support.
Part 2: How to Restore Deleted Images on Android
People usually keep their photos on Android phones in the standard Google Photos app or link them to their cloud service provider, like Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive. There are other image recovery methods from the cloud platforms- here, we will discuss Google Photos-based restoration process only.
Step 1: Double-tap on the Google Photos app on the Android smartphone.
Step 2: After it opens, go to Library > Trash.
Step 3: Choose the specific images to retrieve.
Step 4: Press Restore.
Part 3: How to Restore Deleted Pictures on iPhone/iPad
The photos you click with your iOS device are stored in the Photos app. So, in the matter of how to recover photos after deletion, you should focus on this section. Alternatively, users can back up their photos with their iCloud account, iPhone Backup, or iTunes backup. The recovery steps from those platforms are different.
Step 1: Open the home menu on your iPhone menu.
Step 2: Go to Photos. The list of albums will appear in categories like “All Photos”, “Places”, etc. Scroll down and click on the Recently Deleted folder.
Step 3: After you access this folder, the list of deleted photos/albums will appear, each displaying the number of days till permanent deletion.
Step 4: Choose the photos and press Recover. The prompt for photo recovery will appear. Tap the “Recover Photo” option if you want to get it back.
Different methods are available for recovering deleted images from desktop, smartphone, and tablet devices. Follow the proper steps or download Recoverit for more cohesive photo recovery benefits. The choice is yours.