Do you know that modern smart devices actually know a lot about your day-to-day activities? iPhone actually has one lifestyle tracing feature that you may find to be useful instead of it being creepy. It can even track the steps which you can take over time. So, do you know how does iPhone track steps?
Well, with the help of an accelerometer along with other high-tech sensors your iPhone will be able to detect when you are walking and how much data has been used on the basis of speed and the movement of your phone. Furthermore, the data that It collects can actually be a solid measure of health.
Now, coming back to your question on how does iPhone track steps. Well, if you want to know how iPhone tracks the steps then this post is going to help you out. Here are a few steps that will help you out. iPhone health app > browse > health categories > activity > steps.
Well, if you don’t get the steps that we have mentioned above then you can easily follow the steps which have been mentioned below in detail. You can follow them and get answers to your questions.
What Is Apple’s Health App?
Well, there are many iPhone users who do know about the health app inside iOS. It collects all kinds of data that are related to health from your iPhone, Apple watch, and the apps that you are using.
Apart from this iOS 8 has been introduced where health plays an important role on Apple’s platform and is actually becoming more and more important as the company is more concerned about health-related improvements across the product range. ResearchKit, CareKit, and HealthKit have recently joined the provision of the Apple of health record app for the iPhone.
In the future, you will get to see that health will become an important component not just on Apple’s platform but also in terms of the general healthcare provision.
How Does iPhone Track Steps?
Here are a few steps that will help you to know how does iPhone track steps. Follow the steps that we have mentioned below.
- The first thing that you have to do is open your iPhone’s health app.
- Then at the bottom of the screen, you need to click on the browse option.
- Next, under the health categories, you have to choose the activity option.
- Lastly, click on the steps option.
Whether or not you are using the health app, the data has already been gathered for all the step activity recorders when you are carrying your iPhone. The app will automatically graph your average steps over time and will highlight any kind of trends or changes.
How Does iPhone Step Tracking Work?
Your iPhone can track steps and that’s because the circuit board that it has contains a handful of very small accelerometers. These accelerometers will in turn help to detect and also measure the acceleration. To put it in simple words, they will be able to sense when the phone is moving in any 3D plane and how fast it is moving.
This can also be used for some virtual reality tricks that are inside the apps. But on a simple level, the accelerometers will be used to detect the typical movements that the body makes while running or walking. Apple also spent a lot of time modeling these movements so that even if the iPhone is in your trouser or in the arm holster the steps will still be tracked.
Moreover, this tracking actually happens at all times, even when you don’t use the phone. Now, you may ask whether the iPhone’s pedometer is accurate or not. Well, a recent study said that its accuracy is plus or minus around 14%. So, if you take 5,000 steps in a single day on average then the iPhone may miss around 700 of those or it can overcount 700 steps.
So now, after reading this post you do know how does iPhone track steps. The steps are pretty easy to follow. With the help of this post, you can easily count the steps you have walked. If you have any questions, you can reach us in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How To View The Steps On Your iPhone?
If you want to view the number of steps that you have taken then you need to follow these steps:
- Open the Health app.
- Make sure that you have selected the summary icon which is at the bottom of the screen.
- Now, click on the steps heading.
- To see the data for today choose D tab which is at the top of the screen.
- Now, the W, M, and Y tabs show the weekly, monthly, and yearly totals.
Q. How To Calibrate iPhone Pedometer?
Well, the iPhone’s accelerometer or pedometer calibrates itself automatically so there’s nothing that needs to be done from your end. If you want then you can force restart for this calibration data by following these steps:
- Open the settings app and then click on the privacy heading.
- Click on the location services heading and then click on the system services heading.
- Now, click on the switch that is beside motion calibration and distance. It will be temporarily turned off. To turn it on click on it again.
Q. How to Record Steps on iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus?
The tips below will serve as a guide on how you can record your steps on your iPhone 8 or iPhone 8 Plus.
- Switch on your smartphone
- Click on the Health app
- Look for the Health Data tab located at the bottom of your screen
- Click on Fitness
- You can now activate Walking + Running Distance, and also Steps and Flights Climbed. All you need to do is to press each, and the details will appear on your Dashboard.