Instagram, is the most important and preferred platform for social media users at present. This is an application that probably everyone loves to use. People share every event of their lives here, be it minor or huge. We put stories every day to maintain touch with our followers. But then, one question arises: Can you see who screenshotted your Instagram story?
There are many instances when you share some personal or sensitive information on your Instagram story assuming that they will disappear after 24 hours. But this doesn’t end here. Some people can screenshot your Instagram story, and you are not even aware of this. Did this thought worry you?
Let us know in this article whether you can see who screenshotted your Instagram story and if anything can be done to prevent infringement of your personal information.
How Can You See Who Screenshotted Your Instagram Story?
Instagram had provided the feature to find out if someone took a snapshot of your Instagram story. Whenever you would put a story on Instagram and someone took a screenshot of it, you could find out who the person is by viewing your Story stats. Whoever would take a screenshot of your IG story, Instagram would present a starburst icon right after that person’s username. This way, you could easily find out who screengrabbed your IG story.
But it occurred that people really didn’t have any problem with their followers taking screenshots of their Instagram stories as they didn’t put stories for privacy purposes so that they will disappear in a day, but just so that they could keep decluttering the data on their account while being consistent with sharing so many things on Instagram.
So, in June 2018, this feature was removed from Instagram. And thus, you can no longer see who screenshotted your Instagram story.
Can You See Who Screenshotted The DM Photos On Instagram?
Although you don’t have access to find out who screenshotted your Instagram story, there is a sigh of relief in realizing that this feature still exists for Instagram’s direct messages. Yes! You can find out if someone took a screenshot of the pictures that you sent privately to someone in their DMs. But how?
Here are the simple steps to check if someone has screenshotted the DM photos you sent them on Instagram:
- Launch the Instagram application on your device.
- Tap on the DM option on the top right corner of your screen.
- Now tap on the account where you want to check if the screenshot has been captured.
- Scroll to the photo that you want to check out.
- Swipe left the photo where you will see the status, whether it has been opened or not, and screenshotted or not.
- If there is a screen burst icon displayed there along with “Screenshot” written beside it, then the person has captured a screenshot of that picture that you sent them and is now having that picture in his phone’s storage.
Remember one thing, this feature will work only on the disappearing photos and videos that you shared with that person in the Instagram DM. if you allow multiple replays to that picture or video, then you cannot find out if they have screenshotted it or not.
How Can You Prevent Others From Taking Screenshots Of Your IG Story?
This is bad that you are unable to find out who screenshotted your Instagram story. But it’s not like you can do anything about it. If there are certain followers in your Instagram account whom you don’t wish to allow taking screenshots of your Instagram stories, then you can simply put privacy on your Instagram stories. So, you can choose which group of people will be allowed to view your Instagram story.
How To Hide Your Instagram Story From Certain People?
If you are having privacy issues and don’t wish each of them to view your Instagram story because they might cause an infringement of your personal information, then don’t worry. There is a feature available for this, no, in fact, there are two features available for this on Instagram. Let us discuss both of them one by one.
#01 Privacy Settings
You can just edit the privacy settings of your Instagram story to prevent some of the followers from viewing your stories. In order to do this, you need to follow the steps provided below:
- Open the Instagram application on your device.
- Swipe right to enter the Stories column.
- At the top left of the screen, you will see the Settings icon. Tap there.
- In the menu that comes next, tap on “Story” in the first row.
- Here you can see the Viewing column where “0 people” is written below the heading “Hide story from”. Tap on it.
- A list of your followers will appear, choose directly or search the usernames of the people from who you want to hide your Instagram story.
- After selecting the people, turn back to the previous page. Here you will be able to see how many people you are now hiding your story from.
- Now you can upload any story you wish to, and those certain people will have no access to it.
#02 Close Friends
There is another option to share your Instagram stories with a certain group of people you trust that won’t cause any trouble. This can be done by adding those trustworthy people to the list of your close friends.
Let us know how you can add people to your Close friends list.
- Open the Instagram app on your device.
- Tap on your profile picture on the bottom right of your screen.
- On the profile page that will appear, tap on the three horizontal lines that appear on the top right corner of the screen.
- In the menu that appears, tap on “Close friends”.
- Here you can choose whoever you want to add to the list of your close friends.
- Tap “Done” at the bottom of your screen.
- Now, go back to the main page.
- Swipe right to enter the Stories column and click or choose the photo or video you want to put on your story.
- While proceeding to share the story, tap on the “Close friends” option.
In this manner, only those people will be able to view your Instagram story who you have added to the list of your close friends.
Being socially active is good, but it can also cause you trouble if you become too carefree. So it is necessary to keep a check on the people who are having access to your personal data. And we hope this article helps you in every way so that you can assure your safety on Instagram.
Frequently Asked Questions
How To View Someone’s Instagram Story?
If you wish to watch someone’s Instagram story, you can visit their profile and tap on their profile picture. If you already follow them, their stories will be available to you on the top section of your Instagram’s front page.
Can You Watch Someone’s Instagram Story Without Following Them?
No, you do not have any access to view someone’s Instagram stories or posts unless you follow them. You can view their stories if they have a public account, but for private accounts, there is no such option. You will first have to send them a follow request, and once they confirm it, you can see their posts as well as Instagram stories.