Here is a situation, you got an email and you have to sign the pdf and send it back urgently. What will you do? Take out a printout, sign it, scan it, and then send it. Phew!!! What a lengthy process. What if I tell you that you can electronically sign pdf without printing it. How? Let’s find out.
In layman’s language signing a pdf in its softcopy without printing it on paper is known as signing the pdf electronically. There are a number of tools that can be used to electronically sign pdfs. These tools allow the user to upload the signature either by scanning or drawing on the platform. The user can later use these signatures and place them in the desired position on the pdf.
We have written this article keeping Adobe Acrobat Reader in mind. We know that the application is heavy. But, you cannot deny the fact that it offers a number of features free of cost. It is also the most used pdf editor by professionals.
How To Electronically Sign PDF
Further in the article, you will find the answer to the question “How To Electronically Sign PDF”. We have mentioned all the possible ways to do so in the article below. So, without wasting much of your time let us start with the article.
How To Electronically Sign PDF On Android
Adobe Reader is the best tool to electronically sign PDFs. Well, there are other tools as well for the purpose however, Adobe provides a lot of free features including the electronic signature. If you wish to electronically sign PDF on your android device then Adobe Reader will be the best option.
Follow the steps given below to electronically sign a PDF on Android.
- Download the Adobe Reader application from the Google play store.
- Open the application on your device, the app will ask for storage permissions. Grant the permissions. Next, open the pdf file in Adobe Reader.
- Alternatively, you can go to the internal storage of your android device. Long press on the pdf you wish to sign and click on the option “Open With”.
- From the list of menus that appears select “Adobe Reader” and your pdf will be open in the application.
- Now, look at the bottom right corner of the screen, you will find a pen icon. Click on it.
- A list of options will appear in front of you on the screen. Select “Fill and Sign”.
- Click on the Pen icon again and select the option “Create Signature”.
- Now, you will be asked to sign the document. You can use your finger to sign in the area provided.
- Now, click on the Pen icon again and then tap on the signature that you have just created.
- Now, click anywhere on the pdf. This will paste the signature on the PDF.
- You can now drag the signature and place it at the desired location.
- Click on the tick mark present on the top left corner of the screen.
- You can export the pdf via any different means such as email, WhatsApp, and more.
How To Electronically Sign PDF On iPhone
Adobe Acrobat also provides an option to electronically sign PDF on iPhone. Given below are the steps that will tell you how to sign pdf electronically on the iOS device.
- Download the Adobe Acrobat from the Apple app store.
- Now, open the application on your device and it will ask for the storage permissions, grant them.
- Alternatively, you can go to the iPhone’s drive and click on the three dots present on the right side of the pdf.
- From the list of menu that appears click on the “Open with”, now select Adobe acrobat and your pdf will be opened in the adobe reader.
- At the bottom right corner of the screen, you will find a pencil icon. Click on it.
- From the options that appear on the screen, select “Fill & Sign”.
- Now, click on the draw option, it looks like a fountain pen.
- Next, tap on “Create Signature”.
- And then click on “Draw”. You can use your finger or an apple pencil to sign.
- Click on done, it will save your signature for future use.
- You can now place this signature anywhere you wish to on the document.
How To Electronically Sign PDF On Windows
You can use several pdf editors to electronically sign pdf on your laptop. But, if you ask us which one is the best? Then we suggest that you must go with the Adobe reader. Although the adobe software is heavy, it comes with many features and many of these features are free.
Follow the steps given below to electronically sign PDF on a laptop.
- Download the Adobe Acrobat reader from the official website of the Adobe reader.
- Now, open the pdf that is to be electronically signed in the software.
- Navigate to the right window pane and select the option “Fill & Sign”.
- On the new windows that appear in front, click on the sign icon (it is represented with the nib of the fountain pen) and then click on “Add Signature”.
- Now, you can either draw your signature or upload the image or you also scan the signature using the scanner.
- Once you have uploaded your signature on Adobe you can also save it for future use.
- Place the signature at the desired location and save the pdf.
How To Electronically Sign PDF On Mac
Electronically signing a pdf is a simpler task for Mac users. If you are a Mac user then you can use the preview feature on your device to electronically sign pdf. All you have to do is make a preview of your default application for opening pdfs.
Follow the steps given below to electronically sign PDF on Mac using Preview.
- Open the pdf in the application.
- Now, click on the “Show Markup Toolbar”, which is represented by the toolbox icon. You will find it on the header pane of the application.
- Next, click on the sign button on the toolbox.
- Here you will be provided with two options: either you draw your signature using the touchpad or you can scan your signatures by drawing on the paper with the help of the webcam.
- The signs will be updated on the pdf, placing it at the desired position. To save the pdf, go to file and then click on save.
- If you want to save a duplicate file, you should click on the file and then on the option “duplicate”.
We hope that now you are clear about “How To Electronically Sign PDF”. We have mentioned all the possible methods that can be used to sign pdf electronically on all platforms. If you still have any doubts or query then feel free to ask us. The comments section is open for you. We will reply back to you as soon as possible.