Chromebooks are pretty simple devices that you can use. They are not complicated and that is perhaps one of their main advantages over PC laptops. But at times you may have to start fresh and the best way to do this is by restarting your Chromebook. Do you know how to restart Chromebook with keyboard?
Chromebooks are one such devices that does not require much effort. But there might be times when you get stuck with an unresponsive Chromebook. If that happens then you have to install updates and restart your Chromebook can actually solve this issue in most cases.
So, if you want to know how to restart Chromebook with keyboard, then you have come to the right place. Here, we will discuss the steps you need to take to restart your Chromebook using a keyboard. You can restart your Chromebook in three ways, with a power button, by a hard restart, and by using the keyboard shortcut keys.
Don’t worry, you will find the steps below that you need to follow to restart your Chromebook. So, without wasting any more time let’s quickly get started.
Why Restart Your Chromebook?
Before we discuss how to restart Chromebook with keyboard, let us first know why you need to restart your Chromebook.
Well, restarting your Chromebook is actually the last resort that will help in fixing a lot of unexpected issues that may show up. Here we have listed a few of the common reasons to restart your Chromebook.
- If it is running slower than usual or if your screen completely freezes.
- You have installed a new update to your OS or have a few critical apps.
- The picture on your screen becomes distorted or shows weird colors.
- Some of your apps are not opening or are taking longer than usual to load.
- It doesn’t connect to Wi-Fi or any other connectivity issues.
- Action and operations including your internet connection are lagging.
Now, we have discussed the possible reasons why you need to restart your Chromebook. Now, let get to discuss a few ways by which you will know how to restart Chromebook with keyboard. So, let’s check them out.
How To Restart The Chromebook With The Shutdown Command?
Now, let’s get to know how you can restart your Chromebook with the shutdown command.
- Open the quick menu. On the bottom right-hand side corner of the Chromebook’s taskbar, you will get to see the battery and the Wi-Fi icon along with the time. Choose within these areas to bring up the quick menu.
- Now, at the bottom right-hand side of the screen, you will see a small quick menu window. There will be an icon with the power symbol on it. You need to click on it. You will see that your Chromebook will automatically save any data and work that you have been working on and it make sure that you are signed out of your Google account.
- After your Chromebook is switched off you can turn it on with the physical power button present on your Chromebook.
How To Restart The Chromebook With The Power Button?
To know how to restart the Chromebook with the power button, you gotta follow a few steps mentioned below.
- Hold down the power button. Well, there are two ways by which you can shut down your Chromebook with the physical power button on your keyboard. the first method is by pressing and holding it for three seconds. When you do this your device will automatically save whatever you have been working on and will sign you out of your Google account and will ultimately power itself down. The second method is to press and hold the power button just for a second so that you can bring up the power menu on your screen. From here you can select the power of your device that will turn off and will save your work.
- Turn the device on again. When your Chromebook has been turned off completed you can bring it back to life by simply clicking on the power button on your keyboard once again.
How To Restart A Chromebook With A Hard Reset?
If you are dealing with many severe issues like frozen or unresponsive devices then you can use the hard reset option to be your resort. Remember that doing the hard reset can delete your files saved in the downloads folder. Once these files get deleted you will not be able to recover them. So make sure that before you hard reset your Chromebook you back up your files. Here are a few steps that you need to follow:
- Press and then hold the power key till your Chromebook shuts down.
- Look for the refresh let on your keyboard. it will look like a circular arrow and will be situated in the upper row of your keyboard.
- Your need to press and hold the refresh key and power button simultaneously. When you see that your Chromebook starts release the refresh key.
Now, these were a few methods that will help you to know how to restart Chromebook with keyboard. The steps that we have mentioned are easy to follow and won’t take much of your time. If you have any questions, you can reach us in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How To Reboot The Chromebook For Updates?
If you want to reboot your Chromebook for updates, then you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on the quick setting menu icon present in the lower righthand side corner of the screen to display the notifications.
- If you see an update or if it has been downloaded when you will see a button that says restart to update. Select that button.
- Now, wait for Chromebook to shut down and power back up.
Q. How Do A Factory Reset Your Chromebook?
If you can’t use your keyboard then you can reset your Chromebook to factory settings. Here are a few steps to follow.
- Log out of Chromebook and press and hold Ctrl, Alt, Shift, and R keys.
- Choose the restart option and then choose power wash and click continue.
- Follow the on-screen steps to sign in to your google account and set up your Chromebook.
- See if you can use the keyboard after resetting the device.