Google Hangouts now Google Meet, has been an amazing video meeting app that allows you to connect with users across the world. Since technology comes with timely bugs and glitches, so does this popular app! This post is all about common Google Hangouts problems and how to solve them with ease!
The last time when I was screen sharing my college presentation, my screen went blank all of a sudden leaving me helpless and irritated for this error. Though I love Google Hangouts (now Google Meet) for free and amazing features, that screen out hindrance made me dig deep into more of such problems faced by users from day to day lives.
After months of research and guidance by my technical team experts, we have compiled some of the most common Google Hangouts problems and their best possible solutions right below! Whether you are unable to join the meeting or facing any other technical issue with the app, here you’ll spot easy fixes for your problems!
So, next time, when technical bug tries to spoil your video meeting experience, make sure you use these troubleshooting solutions to fix the errors right away! Let’s get started!
1. Unable To Send In-Chat Messages
One of the most common Google hangouts problems is that sometimes, messages don’t seem to get through. It is possible that you are seeing an error message with a red icon and an exclamation mark every time you attempt to send messages. If you encounter this problem there are some suggestions you can make.
How Do You Solve Problems With Messages
- Make sure you’re connected to the internet, regardless of whether you’re using Wi-Fi, data, or physical connections.
- You can try signing off and then logging into Hangouts.
You may also want to read Most Common Jitsi Meet Problems And How To Solve Them? Easy Troubleshooting Tips!
2. No Sound Notification On Receiving An Email.
Users aren’t hearing notifications when they receive an email or phone call on Hangouts. They’ve lost important messages due to this issue. Users have encountered this issue on phones and on PC and Mac with this Hangouts Chrome extension. If you’re experiencing this issue on your smartphone it’s possible to fix the issue with a simple solution that appears to work for a lot of.
How Can You Fix The Sound Notification Issue With Google Hangouts:
- Start the app, and tap the icon with three lines in the left-hand corner.
- Click on Settings, then select the primary account’s name.
- In the Notifications, section chooses Messages, then go to your Sound Settings. It is possible that you need to click on Advanced for access to the setting.
- The notification sound could sound set at “Default notification sound.” If this is the case, then open this section and alter the tone of the alert to something different. Then you’ll receive alerts for notifications in the manner you’d expect.
- To fix the issue that is causing calls to you Repeat the same steps following the Notification section and choosing Calls incoming instead of Messages.
3. The Camera Isn’t Functioning
Another one of the most common Google hangouts problems is that a lot of users have encountered this issue in which the laptop or PC camera doesn’t function when making a video call. The application is usually stuck with the “camera is in the process of starting” message. There are numerous solutions that have worked for various individuals. Some users remain in the same situation and the only option would be to await an update.
How Can You Fix Camera Issues During A Hangouts Video Conference:
- Solutions for camera issues are a regular component of many Google Chrome updates. Certain users have reported that updating their browser to the most recent version has been helpful.
- A few users are having this issue due to the fact that their computers or laptops come with two graphic cards which are both discrete and integrated. For instance, if you own an Nvidia graphics card, go to the Nvidia control panel, then go into 3D settings. Choose Chrome and then select Nvidia High-Performance GPU. Moving to the Nvidia graphics card appears to be working.
- Similar to this be sure to ensure you have the latest drivers for your graphics (even if you don’t own two graphics cards on your computer) are up-to-date.
- Many users have discovered they are using Chrome is the cause. It’s not a great option however, using a different browser will work. Firefox does not support Hangouts Meet and not the traditional extension, however, if you want to use the latter, you’ll require Microsoft Edge.
You may also want to read 7 Most common Zoom Meeting Problems and How To Solve Them!
4. Google Chrome Creates Problems With Audio And Video
Video and audio issues can be encountered in any video chat application and Hangouts isn’t any different. If you’ve encountered issues while you’ve been using this Chrome extension, then it could be due to the additional extensions installed.
For instance, some users reported that although they could hear the other users in a conversation, however, nobody was able to hear the call.
Also, check out 9 Most Common Microsoft Teams Problems And How To Solve Them?
How To Fix This Audio And Video Issue?
If you have a large number of extensions in place, take them off each one at a time to determine whether the issue disappears. However, you’ll need to pick between Hangouts or that extension if it is found to be the source of the issue until a software update becomes available.
In some instances, people have noticed that the microphone and audio stop working 5 minutes into a conversation. Restarting the call fixes the issue temporarily. This problem is caused by the Chrome browser, and an upcoming software update will address this. Some users have discovered that changing to Chrome Beta also solves the issue.
5. Screen Freezes While Sharing
A lot of users have encountered this problem. Imagine sharing your screen with someone to show them what you’re seeing in a web browser, only to discover that the web browser is frozen due to an unidentified reason. It can happen due to many reasons, but most often a driver for video or audio or an adapter issue. Try upgrading your drivers.
How Can You Fix This?
To update your driver for Windows Go to Device Manager, Start and then Display Adapters > Update Driver.
6. A Green Screen Appears To Replace Video During A Conference
Another one of the most common Google hangouts problems reported is that users see the video replaced with the green screen in the call. The audio is reliable and functional, however, neither of the parties are able to see the other. This issue is only noticed by those using Hangouts with a computer. However, there is a workaround that works for the majority of people.
How To Fix The Issue With The Green Screen During The Hangouts Video Conference?
- Start your Chrome browser. Click the vertical three dots at the top of the right-hand corner. This will you will be able to access the Settings page.
- Scroll down until you reach Advanced.
- Scroll down and look for the option to use hardware acceleration when is available. Disable this option.
- If you’re using a Chromebook enter chrome://flags in your Chrome address bar.
- Scroll down or look for hardware-accelerated video encodes and disable them.
- A large number of users have experienced this issue in recent times on a Mac. It appears that a Mac OS update has caused the issue, and the only solution is to keep waiting for a fix for the software.
GoToMeeting not working? Have a look at 7 Most Common GoToMeeting Problems And How To Solve Them?
7. “Trying To Connect” Error
One of the most common Google hangouts problems is that there’s a frequent issue that sometimes Google Hangouts shows a consistent “Trying to connect” warning message.
What’s The Solution To Trying To Connect Error?
Follow these steps to know how to solve the “Trying to connect” error:
- Verify that you’re connected to the internet, regardless of whether you’re using Wi-Fi, data, or an actual connection.
- Sign out, then log then logging in to Hangouts.
- Check to see if these domains aren’t blocked by the administrator:
8. Hangouts Isn’t Working With Firefox Browser
If you’re experiencing Google Hangouts problems with the Firefox browser, you’re not all alone. Actually, it is the only issue that has no solution. Evidently, Firefox discontinued support for some plug-ins needed to access Google Hangouts.
How To Fix This Firefox Browser Error?
The only way to get them back is to download a compatible browser such as Google Chrome.
9. Unable To Install The Hangouts Plugin
Are you wondering why you’re getting an image showing a Windows computer? This is because people using Chrome do not require the Hangouts extension. As mentioned earlier, Firefox is not supported by Google’s messaging system.
The plugin available is only available for Windows computers, however, there are times when users have trouble trying to make it work. It could be that it isn’t working however some users may receive a recurring message that tells users to reinstall the plugin. Here are some solutions that you could test!
Solutions To Fix This Issue Of Unable To Install The Hangouts Plugin
How to install the Hangouts plug-in on Windows:
- Install and download this plugin. After that, make sure it’s activated by going to on Internet Explorer > Tools (gear icon) > Manage add-ons All add-ons, then search for the Hangouts plugin, and enable it.
- If you’re running Windows 8, turn Desktop Mode on.
- Make sure you check the extensions in your browser and unblock any extensions which make use of “click to launch“.
- Refresh the page of your browser page.
- Shut down your browser and re-open it.
- Start your PC.
- Download and install the Chrome browser that doesn’t require the installation of a plugin.
Bonus Tip: Guide On How To Clear App Cache
Cleaning the app cache, data, and browser cookies is an excellent starting point for general troubleshooting. You can resolve a number of common Google Hangouts problems through this.
How To Clear The Hangouts Cache And Delete Data From The Phone:
Follow these steps to get started!
- Navigate to the Settings menu > Applications and notifications. Then, go to All Apps. Remember that the steps listed may differ depending on the device you use.
- Find Hangouts in the search bar, then tap it.
- Click on Storage and cache and then choose both clearing storage, and clear cache one at a time.
How To Clear The Hangouts Cache And Delete Data From Chrome:
Follow these steps to get started:
- Start the browser, and then select the 3 vertical dots in the top right corner.
- Click More Tools and clear your browsing history.
- You can select a time interval, however, it may be beneficial to choose all time.
- Make sure to check the boxes for Cookies as well as other data on the website as well as Cached images and images and.
- Select Clear Data.
- In this instance, you’re clearing caches and other data for the Chrome browser, not just that of the Hangouts extension. It is possible that you will need to enter new passwords or log in to certain websites again.
Huh!! A long list of problems it was…
As per personal experience with Google Hangouts and the reviews by other users, these were all the common Google Hangouts problems and how to solve them step by step!
Next time you get hit by any uncertain glitch, be ready with fixes! If you liked the information shared in the post, do share it further with your friends and family on social media platforms.
Also, drop down your suggestions and queries in the comment box below, so that we can help you provide the best solutions!
Keep visiting our site for more amazing tricks and tips for solving day-to-day techy mess! Until next time Happy Fixing!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: How Can I Improve My Google Hangouts Connection?
1. Check your internet speed.
2. Shut down all the tabs and apps working in the background during the call.
3. Restart your modem and router.
Q. Is Google Meet And Google Hang
Surprisingly, Google Meet is the name of the updated and advanced version of Google Hangouts. So, practically, it’s the same app with two different names.
Q. Is Skype Better Than Hangouts?
For one-on-one video chats, Skype provides a far better experience than Hangouts.
Featured Image Credits: guidingtech.com