In order to prevent viewing troublesome, perturbing, or hypersensitive content available on YouTube, there has been an option provided to restrain such videos. This is referred to as the age restriction mode. This post will cover the procedure for How to turn off age restriction mode on YouTube on your mobile phones as well as your computer.
In the modern era, parents are off to work most of the time during the day and leave their kids alone with their mobile phones at home. Now, what kind of content their kids are going through remains a mystery. This is where the role of Age Restriction Mode comes into play. It helps parents to do their part in protecting their kids from watching things that shouldn’t be shown to them.
Are you 18+ and tired of the Age restriction mode on your YouTube account because it is not allowing you to watch certain restricted content? Then, this is the right place where you will get answers to your question.
Through this post, let us understand the Age Restriction Mode and the methods on how to turn off Age Restriction Mode on YouTube.
What Exactly Is The Age Restriction Mode On YouTube?
These days, we all know how everyone, especially children and teenagers, has access to YouTube. Due to the increasing preference for online education, there is limited control of parents on their children’s usage of mobile phones and computers. And, in their free time, we don’t know what they are watching in there. This is the point where the need for the age restriction mode arises.
YouTube has added the Age Restriction mode so that kids can be prevented from viewing sensitive content that they shouldn’t watch at their age. This mode provides the user with control over the content available on YouTube. This setting is kept disabled by default in YouTube and needs to be enabled if you want to apply it.
Also, check out How To Timestamp YouTube Comment? The Best Way To Timestamp!!
What Is the Importance of Age Restriction Mode?
At present, there are a lot of inappropriate videos uploaded on YouTube, and every single person who uses YouTube has access to them. So, the publishers put an age restriction on the videos which are not suitable for each kind of audience. On the main page sections, these sensitive videos will not be visible. For being able to watch the age-restricted videos on YouTube, it is mandatory to verify the age as 18 years or more while signing in to the google account.
There is also an availability of the Family Link app, which allows you to turn on the age restriction mode in your child’s YouTube account. Once you enable the age restriction mode in your child’s YouTube account through the Family Link app, your child will, in no way, be able to turn it off on any of his devices.
What is the impact of turning off the Age Restriction Mode?
Turning off the age restriction mode on YouTube removes the filter system from the content and you can have access to all kinds of videos present there.
For adults, it is alright, but this access is not at all appropriate for kids. Kids don’t know what should be watched and what shouldn’t be. So, it is necessary that kids are protected from watching such sensitive or mature content on YouTube. And for this, you should never disable the age restriction mode in YouTube on your kids’ devices.
Also, check out 13+ Best YouTube Video Downloader For iPhone And Android
How To Turn On Age Restriction Mode On YouTube?
Let me first tell you how to turn off Age Restriction Mode on YouTube. You just have to follow a few simple steps which I have explained below:
How To Turn On Age Restriction Mode On YouTube On Computer?
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Type YouTube.com in the search bar and open the site.
- Click on the profile icon of your account on the top right corner of the page.
- A lot of options will be displayed in a list. Scroll down till the end.
- There you will find Restricted Mode. Click on it.
- Now click on the “Turn it on” option and select the “Lock Restricted Mode on this browser” option.
How To Turn On Age Restriction Mode On YouTube From Mobile?
- Open the YouTube app on your smartphone.
- Click on the profile icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- On your profile, tap the settings option.
- On the top, tap the “General” option.
- There will be the option of “Restricted Mode” in the list.
- You can enable the mode by tapping on it.
Also, check out Why You Should Delete Your YouTube History Often?
How To Turn Off Age Restriction Mode On YouTube?
The process is really easy and it can be done in no time. Still, to make it further easier for you, we will be discussing the stepwise approach to turn off the age restriction mode. Here I will explain the process of disabling Age Restricted mode for both computer and your smartphone.
How To Turn Off Age Restriction Mode On YouTube In Computer?
- Open the web browser of your computer and type YouTube.com in the search bar.
- Log in to your YouTube account.
- Click on your profile picture icon at the top right corner of your page.
- Select the Account Settings option.
- Scroll down through the section till the end where you will find the Restricted Mode option.
- In the Restricted Mode window that will appear, you can Deactivate the Restricted Mode by sliding the blue toggle from right to left.
How To Turn Off Age Restriction Mode On YouTube In Mobile Phone?
- Open the YouTube application on your mobile phone.
- Tap the profile picture icon visible at the top right corner of your screen.
- Tap the settings option.
- On the top of this section, tap on the “General” option.
- The second last option in this section will be of “Restricted Mode”.
- Swipe the blue toggle from right to left and the Restricted Mode will be turned off.
Also, check out How To Lock YouTube Screen? Prevent Unwanted Clicks!
Using the Age Restriction mode is the best way to keep a check on your young children so that they don’t indulge themselves in watching content that is not good for them.
So, this was all you needed to know about the Age Restriction Mode on YouTube and the steps to disable the Age Restriction Mode. I hope this article helped answer all your questions along with providing you with all the necessary information required about YouTube’s Age Restriction Mode.
Q. What Is The Age Limit For Using YouTube?
Since Google, the parent company of YouTube collects the user data, and as per the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act COPPA, children are not subjected to data collection, so, the appropriate age for using YouTube is supposed to be more than 13 years.
Q. Is YouTube Safe For Kids?
Children below the age of 13 are forbidden by YouTube from using their application. There is also mature and sensitive content on YouTube, so, children should use YouTube only under their parents’ supervision.