If you are a VR headset user, then you might be familiar with the famous app VRChat. This app lets you enjoy the conversation with others totally differently. To communicate with others you need to make them friends. In this post, we will cover how to add friends in VRChat.
VRChat is an online virtual world platform. Created by Graham Gaylor and Jesse Joudrey and operated by VRChat, Inc, the platform allows users to interact with others with user-created 3D avatars and worlds. VRChat is primarily designed for use with virtual reality headsets, such as the Oculus Rift and Oculus Quest series, SteamVR headsets (such as HTC Vive), and Windows Mixed Reality.
We will be going through the different ways of adding friends in VRChat. You can add friends manually using a mouse and keyboard. You can add them while wearing the headset. So, without wasting time, let’s start with how to add friends in VRChat.
How To Add Friends In VRChat?
Making friends and interacting with them is the primary use of VRChat. Here are the different ways on how to add friends in VRChat.
1. Add Friends In VR Chat Using VR Headset
As the VR headset has its own buttons and motion controls, you’ll use a combination of buttons and pointing to navigate through the Quick Menu. The Quick Menu contains numerous actions, such as changing your world and respawning. For our example, we’ll use the Oculus Rift as the controller.
Here’s how to add friends on VRChat with the Oculus Rift:
- Press the B button on your right controller to open the Quick Menu.
- Point at “Social” and press a trigger to select it.
- Type in a name you wish to add.
- Select “OK” once you finish typing.
- Find the right player on the list.
- Select the player’s name.
- In the pop-up menu, send them a friend request.
- Once the player accepts your friend request, you can see their name on the Social menu.
If you want to add a person to the same room, the steps are more straightforward.
- Open the Quick Menu.
- Point your selection laser at the player you wish to add.
- A menu will pop up.
- Select “Send Friend Request.”
- Wait for the player to accept your friend request.
- If they do, their name will be on the Social menu.
Since different VR headsets have their unique button layouts and controls, we recommend checking them beforehand.
2. Adding A Friend Manually On VRChat
While VR headsets allow for an immersive experience, not everyone enjoys using one. Fortunately, you can get by in VRChat with a mouse and keyboard. The steps are similar to using a VR headset because the Quick Menu is practically identical in function.
Here’s how to add friends using a mouse and keyboard:
- Press the Esc key on your keyboard.
- Click on the “Social” option.
- On the search bar, type the username of the player you want to add.
- Click “OK” to create a list of possible players.
- Select the player from the list.
- Click on the option to send them a friend request.
- Wait for them to accept it.
- Your friend will appear on the Social menu after they accept.
How To Accept Friend Requests On VRChat?
First, here’s how to accept friend requests using a VR headset:
- When you notice the notification, press the button to open your Quick Menu.
- From your Quick Menu, point at “Social” and select it.
- Accept the friend request.
- Now, you can see their username on your Social menu.
For mouse and keyboard users, follow these steps instead:
- Upon receiving a notification, press the Esc key.
- This action opens up your Quick Menu.
- Click on “Social” to open your Social menu.
- Accept the incoming friend request from the player if you wish.
- From now on, you can see them if you check your Social menu.
How to Add Steam Friends in VRChat Using A Friend Code
The easiest way is to ask for a Steam Friend Code. Using Friend Codes lets you add them should the friend accept your request.
Adding people on Steam via Friend Code works like this:
- On VRChat, add your friend.
- Ask them to send you a Steam Friend Code.
- Launch Steam.
- Click on “Friends.”
- Select “Add A Friend.”
- Type or paste the Friend Code you received.
- Select “Send Invite.”
- Once your friend accepts, you’re now on each other’s Friends List on Steam.
At this point, we conclude our post. We have discussed step-by-step instructions on how to add friends in VRChat. We have provided you with a lot of different ways to add friends. Add more and more friends and enjoy the VR chat with them.
Keep exploring our website to know more about VR headsets.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. Is VRChat Free?
VRChat is a free-to-play multiplayer online social game created by Graham Gaylor and Jesse Joudrey for PC (Windows). VRChat makes it easy for anyone to create and explore virtual reality together whether wearing a VR set or not.
Q2. How Do I Install VRChat?
Installing it is pretty easy, just head to their site. After you have Steam installed, either search for VRChat or click on this link. Click on Install, wait a bit, and you’re done! To launch VRChat in VR or Desktop mode, simply click Play on Steam.
Q3. Can You Play VRChat On PC?
You can play in “Desktop Mode”, which lets you use a mouse, keyboard, and monitor. It controls like many first-person games. If you are playing VRChat on Steam, launch the application and click “Launch in Desktop (Non-VR) mode”.