Are you also searching for a safer way to format USB to FAT32 on Mac? Then you are at the right section. Below you will get instructions that will help you make some space on your device by formatting USB to FAT32. We’ll also be sharing some important data that you should know to back up your lost data. So hang on till the end to get a full guide on how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac.
At some point, we all delete our important data from our Flash Drives by mistake and then seek for a solution to recover the lost data. And another most common situation that one faces regularly is in our Flash Drives. We have solutions for both of the above-mentioned. Sounds interesting? Then keep reading.
Desktop utilizers who make use of a USB might be demanding for formatting it to the FAT32 file system. You will find better compatibility of FAT32 among other operating systems while comparing it with the other mostly utilized NTFS file systems on a flash drive. It has a universal format that is harmonious with Windows, Linux, DOS Systems, and Mac OS X/MacOS.
So, if consumers expect to utilize the flash drive with more than one OS, then they should definitely give the FAT32 file system a try! It won’t disappoint them. There are two different ways to format a USB flash drive to FAT32 for Apple Mac consumers. i.e: Terminal Command-Line and Disk Utility. Here, we have briefed both of them in detail on how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac.
How To Format USB Drive?
Formatting a USB drive is not that hard. Just a few clicks and you are good to go. Follow these steps to Format your USB drive:
- Connect USB drive (users having the latest Mac will be needing an adaptor to connect).
- Tap on the Fresh Finder Window.
- Next, select the drive.
- After that, go to the Applications and click on Utilities followed by a double tap on Disk Utility.
- Select USB drive from the given menu.
- Then from the toolbar, click on Erase.
NOTE: Remember that this will wipe out all the data in the file, so it’s better to keep a record of the data in advance.
- Next you have to enter the name of the formatted file in the field.
- Click on the type of the format from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Security tab, if the folder contains some sensitive data.
- At last, tap on OK and then choose Erase.
And here, you have done formatting a USB drive on Mac.
How To Format USB To FAT32 On Mac?
Before proceeding further to learn how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac, it is crucial to know how to format and why to format? The reason for this is given as below:
Mac and Windows both provide the facility to read and write FAT32 format. There are multiple users who utilize drive on both Mac and Windows, sometimes for TV shows and storage. Hence, formatting FAT32 is important.
One and only drawback of FAT32 is that a specific folder should contain 4GB size only because more than that will cause an error in the USB drive which has bigger files. Although, in such situations, exFAT can work because it has no drawbacks and can be used on OS.
Also, check out Apple All Set To Release An Entry-Level MacBook Pro With M2 Chip
What Is FAT?
Since you know how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac, let’s know more about FAT.
MS-DOS is the name of the disk utility for the FAT32. FAT32 provides almost universal interoperability with online desktops in the universe. A formatting process of drives can still exchange data between PCs and Macs. You are then eligible to transfer files to gaming consoles like PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360. On online mode, all the video cameras and cameras will cooperate with FAT32.
It is the closest thing one has to a worldwide file system format, which is a reason behind the formatting process of flash drives.
Here are the instructions you have to follow on how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac:
- Open your Mac and insert the USB drive.
- After that, go for applications followed by Utilities.
- Once you complete the above given step, launch Disk Utility from the disk utility sidebar.
- Next, select the USB drive from the given list.
- Then from the next page of the disk utility toolbar, select Erase.
- On the resulting page, enter the formatted disk name and choose any one from MS-DOS (FAT32) or ExFat from the given list.
- At last, click on Erase from the curre4nt options available.
Next, your drive will automatically get formatted to either ExFat or FAT32 based upon your choice. Make sure, you cross-check your data before formatting to ensure that no crucial data may get deleted intentionally or unintentionally.
Why To Regenerate Deleted Data From Formatted USB?
Formatting the USB drive would delete all the information permanently, so it is important to ensure that you have a backup plan. And, in case you do not have one, you can consider data regeneration tools to recover the deleted information.
There is a good option available in the market by the name of EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard which is available for both Mac and Windows and compatible with both the Mac or PC. For Mac utilizers, it requires only a small number of taps on its software to scan and show the deleted data.
How To Recover Lost Or Formatted USB Flash Drive On Mac?
Urg!! Lost your formatted USB files? Don’t worry, we got your back. Here is how to recover a lost or formatted USB flash drive on Mac:
- First of all, link your USB flash drive with your Mac.
- Next, for Mac install EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard.
- Keep selecting the flash drives that you want to recover the data from.
- After selection, click on Scan to allow the software to detect the data of the lost files.
- Once the systems is done scanning the files, all the files will be displayed on the left side of your screen as the result of the scan.
- Then click and collect files from where the data is meant to be recovered, after selecting click on Recover.
NOTE: Make sure you don’t save the regenerated files to the USB drive in the situation of information overwriting.
So, that’s all for how to format USB to FAT32 on Mac.
Mac has another variant of OS to Windows which is the root of all the mess. A large number of USB flash drives on sale are invented to function with Windows OS that works on FAT32. On the other hand, Mac only works on APFS or Mac OS Extended.
If you own a drive that is either Mac OS or an APFS format then it’s easy and feasible for you but if it is FAT32 then it is not less than a problem for you. If you have already made the mistake of buying a FAT32 functioning flash drive then you do not need to remove it together. There are methods to format a flash drive that works in another format that we have already published above.
Q1. Can One Format FAT32 On Mac?
Ans. Yes, you can own a Drive Format to FAT32 on an Apple Mac by utilizing Apple’s Disk Utility.
Q2. Why Is FAT32 Not Available On Mac?
Ans. Because this option is not accessible for the USB Drive that one is formatting.