There is nothing to lie about that we all have some sensitive or personal photos which we don’t want anyone to see not even our best friends. So, we want to hide those photos even on Google photos. However, hiding photos from your phone’s album is easy to hide but how can you hide those embarrassing photos in Google photos? Do you know how to hide photos in Google photos?
Well, you can surely reduce these dangers by deleting your snaps as there are a few ways by which you can easily hide your photos and see them whenever you want to but when you are alone. Thankfully there are a few ways by which you can lessen this risk while you keep your photos preserved.
If you want to know how to hide photos in Google photos then first you need to set up the locked folder. Open Google photos > library > utilities > locked folder > set up locked folder > follow the instructions.
Well, just setting up the locked folder is not the solution to your issue. You also need to move the content to your locked folder as well, don’t you? To do that you need to read below and find the answers to your questions.
How To Hide Photos In Google Photos?
So, now it’s time that we get to know about how to hide photos in Google photos. Here we have listed all you need to follow and how you can solve the issues by following the steps given below.
How To Set Up A Locked Folder?
Open Google photos app > library > utilities > locked folder > set up locked folder > follow the instructions.
Well, now that the first thing that we have to do to know how to hide photos in Google photos is first set up the locked folder in Google photos. To do so you need to follow the given steps:
- The first thing that you have to do is open the Google photo app on your device. You need an Android 6 or later version so that you can use this feature.
- Now, go to the library option and then select the utility option.
- Next, choose the locked folder option.
- Here you have to select the set up locked folder option.
- Now, follow the instructions so that you can unlock your device.
How To Move Content To The Locked Folder?
Open Google photos > hamburger button > move to locked folder > move > open pixel camera > photo gallery > locked folder > take a photo > automatically save to locked folder.
Now, that you have set up the locked folder, it is time that you move the contents and your photos to the locked folder in Google photos. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- First, open Google photos and then choose the videos and pictures that you want to put in your locked folder. If you want to move the items from the trash to the locked folder then you can do that too. But first, you need to restore the content from the trash.
- Now, you have to click on the hamburger button which you will find in the upper right-hand side corner of the window.
- Tap on the option that says move to the locked folder. However, the cloud backups of this content will also get deleted.
- Now, click on the move option.
If you have a Pixel 3 or a later device, then you can save the content to the locked folder directly from the Pixel camera. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Open the Pixel camera app.
- Click on the Photo Gallery which you will find in the upper right-hand side corner of the window and then click on the locked folder.
- Take a photo and this will automatically get saved to the locked folder.
- Voila! You have successfully moved your photo to a locked folder in Google photos.
What Are The Limitations Of The Google Photo-Locked Folder?
Now, that we have discussed how to hide photos in Google photos, it’s time to know what are the limitations of the Google photos locked folder. Well, the main limitation is that all the hidden images are stored locally. You will not be able to sync the hidden files across the devices with the help of Google photos.
Due to this reason, you will not be able to back up the sensitive images to the cloud as soon as you move them to the locked folder. If you have already backed up then Google photos will delete the cloud backups of those files.
Google has taken this step so that it can prevent the accidental exposure of sensitive photos and videos. This company will also automatically remove the hidden media from the existing memories and it will not show them on the Google smart displays. So, you need to remember this before you use the locked folder in Google photos.
Some Misconceptions About Locked Folders In Google Photos
As the locked folder is not backed up to the cloud you need to remember a few things. Remember that the absence of these features can act as the security method that will keep your images saved. Here are a few things that you need to know.
- The different versions of the photo that you move which includes the saved copies as well as the edited version are not moved along with the photos that you choose.
- The photos that you move to the locked folder from your backed-up images will be taken out of the cloud and will not be backed up.
- The images will not show up when you use the search feature in Google photos.
- Those apps that have access to your device images will get blocked from accessing the locked folder.
- If you uninstall Google photos the photos that are present in your locked folder will get deleted.
So, this is how to hide photos in Google photos. The steps are really easy to follow. With the locked folder in Google photos, you can be sure that your photos will not get in the wrong hands. If you have any questions, you can reach us in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How To Hide Or Show An Album With An Archive In Google Photos?
To hide or to show the album on Google photos with archive are as follows:
- Open the Google photos app.
- Sign in to your Google account.
- Choose a photo and click on the menu button and then click on the archive option.
- Now that you have archived you have to click on the archive option to see the hidden photos.
- If you want to unarchive your photo, choose the photo and then tap on the three dots icon which you will find at the upper right, and then select the unarchive option from the drop-down.
Q. How To Archive Photos In Google Photos On The Web?
To archive the photos in Google photos on the web here’s what you need to do:
- Open Google Photos on your computer
- Tap on the photo that you want to hide.
- Click on the three-dot icon and choose archive.
- You can even use the Shift + A Keyboard shortcut to archive the photo.