If you have been using AirPods, then you probably do know that the Apple AirPods have the ability that allows Siri to read the text messages out loud as soon as you receive them. If you are irritated with Siri reading out your messages, then you must be wanting to stop them from reading your texts. Do you know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts”?
Besides reading notifications for reminders and iMessage’s, Siri on your AirPods will also read the 3rd party messages like WhatsApp, Snapchat, Twitter, etc through your AirPods or Beats. You can even respond to the notification without even using your hands.
Yea, that is fun that you get to respond to the text messages without using your hands, but this is surely not fine if you are in public and Siri reads out your messages out loud in public. That’s actually really embarrassing. So, if you want to know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts”, you have come to the right place.
In this post, we will discuss why you can easily stop the AirPods from reading the texts with a few steps that are easy to follow. Now, let’s not waste any more time and quickly get started.
Why Disable The AirPods Read Text Message Option?
Well, the announce message on your AirPods with Siri, will allow you to read the text message over any other app or activity that you will do on your phone. In this way, Siri will interrupt audiobooks podcasts, and audiobooks to announce the message that may or may not be important to you. Urgh! That is so irritating. Hence, due to this reason many users want to know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts”.
“How To Stop Airpods From Reading Texts” on Your iPhone?
Well if you want to know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts” on your iPhone then here are a few steps that you need to follow:
Disable Siri From Reading The Texts
- You need to first open the setting tab on your iPhone and then choose the notifications.
- A fresh page will open with the option that says Announce Messages with Siri at the top.
- Then, you will get to see the option that says Announce messages with Siri and then choose the announce messages. If announcing messages with Siri is enabled, then the button will be green in color. Just click on the toggle and turn off the announce messages with the Siri box.
You can even deactivate the announce message function temporarily on your iPhone by going to the control panel.
- Just swipe down from the top right corner of the screen, and then enter the control panel.
- Now, click on the announce messages icon, so that you can deactivate it.
- This will stay turned off till you turn it on again.
- You can even set a time period during which this will be deactivated and then get activated automatically. To do this you need to hold the announce messages icon down till the menu opens up.
- Moreover, you can even choose mute it for one hour or off for the whole day. If you will choose either of the options then the announce messages feature will again get reactivates after a certain period of time.
How To Permanently Stop Siri From Reading Your Messages?
Now, if you want to know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts” permanently, then you have come to the right place. If you really want to get rid of the Siri to browse your messages permanently, then you will be able to disable the announce messages feature on your iPhone or Apple watch settings. Your apple watch will show the notification settings on your iPhone, due to this feature which means that you will not be forced to flip it off on each of the devices.
On Your iPhone
Follow these few steps on your iPhone to stop Siri from reading your messages.
- Open the Settings app, and then click on the notifications and announce messages with Siri.
- Next, disable the announce messages with Siri choice at the highest or flip the feature off for certain apps.
On The Apple Watch
To stop Siri from reading your messages on you’re Apple watch, check out these steps to follow:
- Click on the digital crown, and then open the settings tab.
- Click on the notifications option and then scroll down and disable the option that says announce messages.
- If you want to use Siri to browse your messages again in the future then come back to these settings and then switch the feature on again.
How To Quickly Stop Siri From Reading Your Messages?
You may not want to fully stop this feature coz you know that this is a very helpful feature indeed. Maybe you want Siri to read your apple watch messages when you are on a walk. So, here’s how you can do it:
Toggle The Center Choice
This is perhaps the best way to stop Siri from reading your messages by just turning off the announced messages within the center. This method will help you to quickly disable this feature for an hour.
You will have to toggle this setting from any device your AirPods are currently connected to your apple watch or iPhone. Also, if your apple watch is connected to iPhone then you may not be ready to toggle this feature on the watch.
On Apple Watch
To quickly stop Siri from reading the messages on your apple watch here’s what you need to do:
- On your watch face just swipe up, and the center will open.
- Find the announce messages button and toggle this feature either on or off. Once that is on the icon will show you a red background.
- Also, you have to hold this button to mute it for an hour.
- If you don’t get to see the announce messages icon, click on the edit option and follow the process.
How To Use Do Not Disturb Mode To Stop Siri From Reading Out The Messages?
The do not disturb feature on your iPhone will stop all kinds of notifications and messages from appearing on your screen. When you enable this feature, it will stop AirPods from reading your messages. Here are a few steps to this do not disturb mode on your iPhone and Apple Watch:
- Go to the control center, and click on the moon icon, so that you can enable the do not disturb mode.
- If you want to keep it scheduled for some time then click on the icon and then hold it for a second.
- Next, you have to select when you want this mode to be enabled.
- If you don’t select anything and just turn on this option then you will have to toggle off this feature when you want to disable it.
So, with the help of these methods, you now know “How To Stop AirPods From Reading Texts”. You just have to follow these few easy steps and you are done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How To Reply To Messages Hands-Free?
If you have enabled the announce messages with Siri on your AirPods, then here’s how you can reply:
- First, start your sentence with a reply and then say whatever you have to say.
- When you stop talking then Siri will read your reply to confirm whether you want to send that reply or not. If yes, then Siri sends the message to the sender.
Q. How To Select Whose Messages Should Be Announced?
You can even select whose messages you want to hear from Siri and whose messages you want to stop. Let’s check them out.
- Go to the setting tab on your iPhone, and then open the notifications menu.
- Click on announce messages with Siri.
- Now, click on the messages option and you will get to see four options, namely, contacts, favorite, everyone, and recent.
- Choose the option that says you want Siri to announce messages.